Cotswolds hotel

Nov 15th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Cotswolds hotel

I am leaving over Thanksgiving for a quick 8 day trip to England. I will be in London for 5 days then have a car for the last 3 days. I am considering a night in Bath at the Paradise Hotel and 1 night 2 days in the Cotswolds. Any hotel recommendations in Cotswolds for about $150 US? Also a hotel near Heathrow for last night? Would you skip Bath and just spend time in Cotswold?
Nov 15th, 2003, 11:41 AM

try the bibury court hotel..we stayed there a few years ago and i think that was the price range. we thought it was a good vlaue and very picturesque.
Nov 15th, 2003, 11:47 AM

We stayed at the Lambs Inn in Great Rissington. GL54 2LP Tel: 01451 820388

It was very picturesque. For a Heathrow Hotel for an early flight out I stay at the Heathrow Holiday Inn. If you ask for a ride in the morning, they will take you for free (of course I tip them).
Nov 15th, 2003, 12:04 PM

No, there is no need to skip Bath if you really want to go there. You'll have the car, afterall, -- might as well get good use form it. Bath is very close to the Cotswolds anyway. Try to use the B-roads when possible for more driving pleasure.

A couple of places I liked in the Cotswolds were the Painswick Hotel in Painswick and the Cotswold House in Chipping Campden. They both have websites so try a google search.

Spending the last night in Windsor (about 10 miles from Heathrow) is what I would do. Try Sir Christopher Wren's House Hotel or the Best Western Christopher Hotel (Eton) are a couple of nice places to consider.

Have a good trip.
Nov 15th, 2003, 12:19 PM

It's hard to say whether to do Bath without knowing you & your interests. Bath is a city while the Cotswolds are towns & villages. I personally wouldn't want to stay in 3 different places on 3 consecutive nights. You could also do Bath as a day trip from London (easy by train) & then concentrate on the Cotswolds for the last 3 days (or stay in London an extra night-do Bath as a day trip & spend 2 days in the Cotswolds).

While Bibury is a charming place, you should know it is not a village with any restaurants or even a pub as I recall. I stayed at the Swan Hotel there (probably more than $150). I think you might prefer staying in a town with restaurants, shops etc. Burford is charming & has several hotels, inns & B & Bs. The Bay Tree is lovely-don't know the prices.

Stop in Woodstock on your way back toward Heathrow & see Blenheim Palace.

If your plane isn't very early on your departure day, instead of staying at Heathrow, you might consider staying in Windsor or Marlowe both of which are a short ride to Heathrow.
Nov 15th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone's suggestion. Staying in Windsor or Eton instead of the airport sounds alot better. Thanks all!
Nov 15th, 2003, 02:09 PM

there are several marriott hotels around windsor which are quite nice and handy to the airport....
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:10 PM

posting this for others as it may now be over la dolce's limits prices may have changed the last few years.
Cowly Manor, Cowlet, Gloucestershire.
www.cowleymanor.com
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:24 PM

typo again, Cowley
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:35 PM

sorry, my fingers are bad, its

there's also, in chipping camden, the cotswolds house www.cotswoldhouse.com
stow-on-the-wold is the loyalist hotel,
www.theloyalisthotel.co.uk
at burford is the burford house,
www.burfordhouse.co.uk
at cheltenham, the hotel on the park

Nov 15th, 2003, 07:04 PM

I'm with mclaurie....save Bath as a day trip....driving in Bath can be a nightmare...If you do go that way, stop at the Pay and Ride outside of Bath..and that way you won't have to put up with that traffic.
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:17 AM

We rented a car from London and drove to the cotswolds. They are wonderful! I would recommend staying in Stow-on-Wold or Stratford on Avon (a bit bigger)We found B&Bs in both places for $20 pp per night or $40 a room! (Beautiful place in Stow, brought us gorgeous breakfast trays to our rooms!!!)sorry cant remember the name...went to a bar and they had rooms in another building. Food at pubs was incredibly delicious!! Travel one road north and another south to see all the charming little villages...in some cases one lane roads!! get a good map before you go...you cant get too lost, but its nice not to waste time...
Nov 16th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Amen to not driving IN Bath. But if you haven't been it is a very nice and easy addition to your trip. My mother and I were in this area for several days in May - our favorite hotel by far was the Howard Arms in Ilmington - it is on a lovely small square and the restaurant is fabulous. The prices there were quite reasonable. I found it and many others in the area at Smoothhound.co.uk which will link you with the hotels website if they have one. Enjoy!
Nov 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. Booked Bay Tree Inn in Burford. Was able to get great rate on laterooms.com. Also will be staying in Windsor instead of airport.

Search this Thread