Stops btw. Heathrow, Portsmouth, Bath

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some suggestions on stops along my drive between Heathrow and Portsmouth, and Portsmouth and Bath -- scenic villages, walks, or attractions to break up the drives for an hour or two. I want to maintain a reasonably direct route (i.e., no diversions to Kent or Cornwall). A walk in the New Forest sounded good at first, but frankly I was turned off by the New Forest website so I don't know. Thanks for any ideas!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Clandon Park (National Trust property just outside Guildford), and some nice walks around Guildford.<BR><BR>Chichester and Bosham harbour<BR><BR>Bodiam Castle<BR><BR>If you have time you might go over the water from Portsmouth and spend a couple of days on the Isle of Wight<BR><BR>Winchester<BR><BR>Salisbury<BR><BR>Fo r walks, see www.ramblers.org.uk<BR><BR>www.nationaltrails.gov. uk<BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:26 AM

Eljay - The New Forest would be slightly off your route.<BR><BR>Stonehenge <BR>Wilton House<BR>Longleat<BR>Shearwater Lake<BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Eljay,<BR><BR>Two of my favorite small villages in Surrey (ther first part of your trip) are Shere and Abinger Hammer. Here's a website that will tell you about them &amp; some of the other places in the area.<BR><BR>http://www.surrey-pages.co.uk/cgi-bin/surrey/jump.cgi?ID=96<BR><BR>Then, on your way to Bath, I always enjoy stopping in Bradford Upon Avon for a walk, some tea or a pub lunch. Here are 2 more websites for Bradford &amp; the surrounding area. (the first one is for a holiday cottage but ignore that &amp; look at the info on the area).<BR><BR>http://www.uk-holiday-cottages.org/tourism.htm<BR><BR>http://westwiltshire.gov.uk/old/index.htm<BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Wow, some good ideas here. I'll have fun checking them out on the web this weekend. Thanks, all!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM

(Did you know that the film Holiday with Cameron Diaz &amp; Jude Law was filmed in &amp; around Shere??)

I'm assuming you're going to be driving along the M25 from Heathrow &amp; then down the A3 to Portsmouth? On the juction of these two major roads there's the Royal Horticultural Society Gardens at Wisley. It doesn't matter what time of year you go it is always beautiful (tho obviously there's more to see between Spring &amp; Autumn)and offers plenty of walks with views around the various gardens. (It also has a good cafe if you want to stop for food)

If you're then heading towards Bath on the A303 (smaller road than the M4 and probably not so direct, but prettier scenery. And yes, it can get busy, but then so can the M4) then you'll be passing Stonehenge.... that's got to be worth stopping for?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would echo Winchester, Salisbury, Guildford and Chicester. Parts of Farnham are quite pretty. Near Portsmouth, Portchester castle is worth a trip - the audio tour is part of the admission fee, and quite entertaining.

If you wished to travel across country, you could drive through the Meon valley on your way to Portsmouth - there are some pretty villages along the route.

One place you might consider visiting on your way to Bath, would be the White horse at Uffington - an ancient styalised horse cut into hillside. This would not take you too far out of your way - you could see Stonehenge, then drive up to Uffington, possibly via Avebury.

The pub of the same name nearby used to serve very good food.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Jacko5 and willit: sort of doubt if eljay is still looking for suggestions since he asked the question<b>4</b> years ago.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoops - missed that - Saw the post at the top of the queue, and replied. Still, it may help for others following a similar path.