bath, cotswolds & oxford

Search

bath, cotswolds & oxford

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bath, cotswolds & oxford

I'm flying to England, arriving Apr 26 for 7 nights: 2 in Bath, 2 in Cotswolds (moreton-in-marsh) 1 unknown and 2 in Oxford. Any suggestions on must-sees or must-avoids?<BR><BR>Can anyone suggest how much time it takes to tour Warwick Castle and Blenheim, especially if I'm interest in viewing any gardens?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:50 PM

I would do this entirely differently. Stay two nights in Bath and the rest in Moreton. Look at a map - Oxford, Warwick, Blenheim, Hidecote Manor gdn, and all the Cotswold villages are totally convenient as short driving tours out of Moreton-in-Marsh.<BR><BR>Stay there - get to know village life, become a &quot;regular&quot; at the local pubs, and not pack up and move every day or two.<BR><BR>Moreton is less than 30 min from the Oxford park and ride lots, 20 mins from Woodstock/Blenheim, and 35 or 40 mins from Warwick.<BR><BR>As for your questions - Warwick Castle and the town can take 2 hours (really too rushed) or all day. Count on at least 1/2 a day to see most of it.<BR><BR>Same for Blenheim - you can rush through in a couple of hours - but is you want to see Woodstock and walk thru the grounds count on 3 or 4 hours.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:52 PM

ps: If you really want to stay overnight in Oxford - stay 2 nts in Bath (or only 1 if you want more time in the Cotswolds), 4 nts in Moreton and 1 nt in Oxford.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:18 AM

Also, if you intend to tour Warwick don't miss St.Mary's church near the wonderfull castle. You could also travel to Warwick via Stratford on Avon-Shakespeare's Birthplace- or even visit the ruins of Kenilworth Castle close by. (any time less than half a day at Warwick Castle is to little.)Have a good trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:45 AM

I've only been to Bath - the town is small enough to walk around to get to all the usual things - the Roman Baths are great (and right next to the Abbey), my sister and I really enjoyed the Museum of Costume, and we found some really great pubs (look for the Hobgoblin). <BR><BR>If you need a place to stay in Bath, we loved The Brompton House - 5/7 minute walk to the Baths, quiet street, good breakfast. www.bromptonhouse.co.uk is there website.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Karen
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:46 AM

no - stay at least one night in Oxford - you can go to the theatre or see one of the fabulous student concerts. Blenheim and Woodstock can be done in half a day; Warwick castle most of the day (you want to get you money's worth).
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions