Cotswolds day tour from London

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswolds day tour from London

I am hoping Fodorites can help us find a Cotswolds tour this October. Had thought we would be staying in Bath and touring the Cotswolds from there but plans have changed and we will arrive in London from the Continent. London apartment is already booked so no flexibility there (although we would consider one overnight away).

We will NOT drive in the UK so renting a car and traveling on our own is out. Given all that we would like to find a one or 2-day tour to the Cotswolds from London. What I have found so far seem to include too many places (Oxford, Cotsworlds, Stratford in one day for example) or places we are not interested in (Blenheim, Stonehenge). "Lunch in the Cotswolds" is offered here: http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/psite/...tours.id53.php
and through Viator and it might do.

We especially want to see Bibury. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have sort of boxed yourselves into a corner w/ your specific criteria.

Won't drive; Don't want major attractions like Stonehenge/Blenheim; Want to visit a tiny place like Bibury (most commercial tours that squeeze in Bibury would include Blenheim).

London Walks does an Oxford/Cotwolds day trip on Wednesdays through the middle of October. But it doesn't go to Bibury. Mainly Oxford, Minster Lovell, Burford.

I doubt you are going to find what you want.

So either book a private driver-guide for the day, or eat a night in your flat, take the train to Moreton-in-Marsh and use local buses to get around for 1.5-2 days. However AFAIK there is no bus service to Bibury . . . so you are back to drivger-guide or taxi.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:38 AM

I have a suggestion, the London Walks Company offers a weekly trip to Oxford and Cotswolds on Wednesdays until October 17th. They meet at Paddington Station and you take the train to Oxford, much faster than a coach, have a walk in Oxford in the morning and a walk through the Cotswolds in the afternoon all for £14 plus the rail fare. Although I haven't taken that walk but I have tried around 10 of them and they are brilliant. Have a look at www.walks.com. Hope you find something suitable.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both, I'll take a look at London Walks.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 12:12 PM

This London Walks goes on Sundays, and it doesn't sound like it goes to Oxford, just the villages. http://www.walks.com/Standalone/The_...ult.aspx#23175
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 01:00 PM

If you arrive in London in time, London Walks do a one day trip to the Cotswold on Saturday 29th September, which IMO would be better than the Cotswold/Oxford trip - the latter being very rushed, but better than nothing I suppose. I have done the London Walks one day Cotswold trip and it was excellent.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:50 PM

"<i>I have a suggestion, the London Walks Company offers a weekly trip to Oxford and Cotswolds on Wednesdays until October 17th. </i>"

Yep -- that is the one I suggested. >><blue>London Walks does an Oxford/Cotwolds day trip on Wednesdays through the middle of October. But it doesn't go to Bibury. Mainly Oxford, Minster Lovell, Burford.</blue><<

I didn't mention the Saturday LW, since you said you would be there in October. But if you ARE there in Sept. that Saturday walk is very good. Doesn't go to Bibury though. Chipping Campden, the Slaughters, and sometimes Minster Lovell depending on time (since part is on foot - like between the Slaughters) they are semi-limited by the slowest walker. The coach does drive <i>through</i> some other villages but doesn't stop.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Mad Max has a “Cotswold Discovery Full Day Tour”, which includes Bibury, Stow-on-the-Wold, Castle-Combe, Badminton, Tetbury, the Coln valley and The Slaughters. It is a small group (maximum size of 16). You would need to take an early train to Bath or stay overnight. The tour departs at 8:30 a.m. and returns at 5:15 p.m.

A few years ago, I took a day trip to Bath and included a Mad Max tour to Stonehenge and Lacock. We had a great time and I would highly recommend them.

http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM

If you don;t want to drive you may want to consider staying in the Cotswolds one or two nights and sightseeing by local bus - where possible - supplemented by taxi.

We stayed in Oxford and explored the Cotswolds for several days - but by car. And agree that Bibury is charming (but tiny) and doubt it will be on any tour. Note that the towns are much more pleasant early in the am- before tours arrive - and after they leave in the afternoon.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 05:49 AM

nytraveler: Actually Bibury is on some tours. Just not any AFAIK that don't also include Blenheim and other places the OP doesn't seem to want to visit.

lovs2travel: Madmax is what the OP was going to use in the first place but their plans re staying in Bath have changed (see the OP)
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

I have emailed London Walks and already received a response from them. The Oxford/Cotswold tour is offered while we will be in London so it is an option.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Rabbies has a two day tour from London to Oxford, Bath and the Cotswolds (not Bibury, unfortunately) that might be a possibility. http://www.rabbies.com/london_tour_departures.asp
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM

We just went to Oxford as a day trip last Tuesday. We took the bus as our hotel was 2 blocks from the Marble Arch making the connection to the bus very easy, although it does take a bit longer. There is so much to do that if you take any tours, or walk around peeking into the many quadrangles it is truly a one day event. If you just walk around it is doable but you won't get to see the inside of the many beautiful buildings. It is a great town.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:08 PM

I did the Premium Tours "Lunch in the Cotswolds" tour from London and it was a great day. Saw a number of pretty Cotswold villages and spent plenty of time in Bibury which allowed for a walk along Arlington Row plus lunch at the Swan. It didn't feel rushed at all and gives you a taste of the Cotswolds.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Jennywren--This looks like a possibility for us as there are 3 tour dates during our time in London. How was lunch at the Swan? We had once hoped to stay in Bibury at the Swan so I would be interested to sample it.

(I noticed a number of typos on the Premium website. I would have expected better of an English website.)

Gundy--Thank you for sharing the Rabbies' website. The small group tour is appealing.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:03 AM

Hi, Scoootoir. Don't know if it's of any interest to you, but I did a nice walk from Bibury to Coln St. Aldwyns, along the lovely River Coln. Also, if you can make an overnight of it, you can take train/bus to Bibury, stay overnight at the Swan or the Catherine Wheel, then bus/train back to London the next morning. Some logistical info. and detail is in my trip report, which you can find by clicking on my name. It's the only trip report I've posted so far. Have fun in England!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Scoootoir, lunch was fine. We have since been back on our last visit just for lunch and it was very nice. I don't think you will regret it.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

ChgoGal--I'll be reading your trip report, thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM

if you are considering the cotswolds lunch tour with premium tours, there is currently a groupon for half-off that very tour. it is at groupon london (you will have to sign up for london's groupon) and costs 39. a great deal if you are considering this tour. good through october 16 (don't know if that's too early in october for you.)
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM

I'll be taking that tour in September. Just joined groupon London. Thank you Kahn and thank you Scootoir for starting this post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -