Cote d'Azur location

May 27th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Cote d'Azur location

Hi

We have our apartment choices narrowed down to three locations.

1. Sea front at Cagnes sur Mer /
Cros de Cagnes
2. A block or two from the sea at La Silia Plage just below Antibes
3. No view but waiting on exact location at Juan les Pins

Anyone want to chime in on our choice? None of us have been to any of these places.
The apartments are about equal except for the view. The one at Cagnes sur Mer is a gorgeous waterfront view with balcony.
May 28th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Topping this for myself.
May 28th, 2014, 08:34 AM

The first seems to be the best.
May 28th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

emma: is Cros de Cagnes nice? I am liking the seafront best, too, but don't know a darn thing about the town. It looks fine, not glamorous, but I'm hoping it is convenient for several day excursions.
May 30th, 2014, 04:26 AM

Exactly, with the seafront. I don't know neither the town, but if you want visit the region, I suppose you won't stay in this town. And the small town in France are perfect when we love walk, there is wonderful landscapes to see, and in your case, there is the sea not far away.
May 30th, 2014, 04:57 AM

Did you Google Earth it to get a close look?
May 30th, 2014, 06:52 AM

My first choice would be Cagnes-s/Mer, then Juan-les-Pins, then Antibes.
May 30th, 2014, 08:50 AM

From Cagnes-sur-Mer it's only 10 min. drive to St. Paul de Vence, and 20 min. to Nice. Location is very convenient!
May 30th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

This has been helpful, but our friend, traveling with my husband and I, preferred a more expensive apartment at St Jean Cap Ferrat. Once I saw the place, I was in love too, and after A LOT of negotiating with the owner, I just sent the first payment.

I had read some negative things about how dull Cagnes sur Mer was, but I must say that the apartment was smack on the sea front, had a great view, and a good price. Also, we are going in late September/early October, and really just wanted a base a place for pleasant meals on the balcony. Didn't much care if it was a happening town.

However, we got stars in our eyes and are staying on the sea front where Villefranche turns into St Jean Cap Ferrat. Nice big parking spot, too. Giant walk in rain shower.
May 30th, 2014, 09:43 AM

That is probably the best spot you can get on the Côte d'Azur!
May 30th, 2014, 12:52 PM

I don't know the area well, but last summer I was there (I stayed in Vence) and did day trips including to Haute Cagnes, and then I had to get to the airport in Nice and I have to say driving through Cagne sur Mer was horrible - the traffic was terrible and it was very ugly. Don't know how it is right on the sea though, it could be better. And once you know your way around I guess you could really get from there to St Paul in 10 minutes but I got lost all three times I was driving there (on the way to Vence from the highway - you get off the highway in Cagnes sur Mer), the day trip I did to the area, and the last day driving to the airport. Just warning. The actual place you are staying could be lovely and if you don't get lost you'd get through the ugly part pretty fast. It was the only time in over two weeks of driving around southern France that I got lost. There was construction, maybe that's why I kept getting lost.
Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:13 AM

tuscanlifeedit : it sounds be well! And if you have regret about the others choices you can spend one day there and have a picnic

isabel is right, the traffic in France in summer can be difficult, especially in August. But the period you have chosen is quiet.