Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Costa Brava/ Girona day trip if we have only 5 days in Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm wondering if it would make sense to take a day trip to see the coast and Girona if we have only five days in Barcelona. I know we could easily fill up our five days by just staying in Barcelona, but maybe the day trip is worth it?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 05:23 AM

I think you could definitely take a day trip but I wouldn't do both Girona and Costa Brava in one day. That would be impossible. You wouldn't have time to see anything. Are you renting a car? You could drive or take the train to Girona for the day. It's only one hour from Barcelona. Or you could rent a car & drive up Costa Brava for a day, making several stops. You can click on my name to read my trip report from last October. One stop, for example, could be Tossa de Mar.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking of this tour, which seems to do Costa Brava in the morning and Girona in the afternoon (for a very long but perhaps satisfying day):

http://www.spanish-trails.com/eng/ca...costabrava.php

Is that too much?
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM

Since you would be taking a tour, I think it would be worth it. You aren't driving, so there is no risk of getting lost, & you can sleep on the bus if you are tired. I think I would do it, especially if you aren't sure if you will return to this part of Spain again. We loved both Costa Brava & Girona, so if you have the opportunity to see both in one day, & you can rest on the bus & someone else is doing the driving, I would do it. You will get a "taste" of Girona & a "taste" of Costa Brava, but that is better than not going at all, IMO.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kwoo. I appreciate your opinion and enjoyed reading your trip report from last year. I will be with my parents - doubtful they will return to the region again so I'd like them to have a rich and wonderful visit. But I also don't want to overwhelm the trip trying to pack too much in.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM

yes
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't book the tour but would play it by ear. Girona is a great and easy daytrip from Barcelona. There are very frequent trains and buses. Personally I'd have a daytripped "pencilled in" my plans with the public transportation details handy. Once you're in Barcelona if you feel like staying in Barcelona that day then forget the daytrip. This gives you flexibility in your limited time and you won't be obligated to take a tour if you don't feel like it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM

agree with Cathy.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
ita

I am interested in a guided full day tour. The Spanish Trails seems to suit what I am looking for. Has anyone used their services?
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used Spanish Trails as well (though I note that they get high marks on Trip Advisor).
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We're considering a similar outing as part of a ten-day stay in the Barcelona area next spring. Does anyone have thoughts on our using Girona as a two-night base for day trips by rental car around the Costa Brava?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM

"Does anyone have thoughts on our using Girona as a two-night base for day trips by rental car around the Costa Brava?"

It is a great idea. There is a lot to see around Girona outside Costa Brava : La Bisbal for ceramics, the medieval village of Pals, Olot and its volcanoes, Empuries and its Greek ruins, Dali's wife Gala's castle in Pubol, Besalu, the lake of Banyoles, Figueres (Dali Museum) Vilabertran (Abbey), San Pere de Rodes (Abbey) etc.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM

There is a lot to see in Girona and nearby but if I understsnd correctly txtree hasonly five days in Barcelona, if this is the case it is a short time to visit Barcelona, only possibility would be in my opinion,
a day trip to Girona. We are talking of a lovely destination that in itsef merits at lease a one night
Stay, ( I would stay at least 2) but it doesn' t seem possibly for txtree.
Girona has a lovely old city, offers a lovely walk on the city walls, nice cafes, restaurants,museums,
Exciting gothic churches and buildings etc.etc.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes, sadly we have only five days in Barcelona so we'd be limited to a day trip, if we decide to go. If I had ten days in the region - as Dave does - I would definitely spend a night in Girona and possibly a night on the coast.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Dave_Ohio,
You can click on my name to read my trip report from October 2010. We spent 5 days in Barcelona, then we rented a car for a 3-night/4 day trip. First, we slowly drove along the Costa Brava, making stops along the way. We overnighted in Cadaques (it's absolutely beautiful), & visited Dali's house in Port Lligat & drove up to Cap de Creus.

Then after spending one night in Cadaques, we drove to Girona, where we stayed for 2 nights. Girona is a lovely city & we spent one day sightseeing in Girona. Then we spent one day driving through the Pyrenees (made stops in Besalu, Ripoll, Rupit & Vic) before heading back to Barcelona.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:36 AM

I have done the Rabbie's tours out of Barcelona. Did the Vic/Pyrenees tour, the Montserrat/wine tour, and the Dali/Costa Brava over two visits to the city. All were great. I'm guessing that the other Costa Brava tour offered by Rabbie's would be equally as good. Check them out! The Dali/Costa Brava excursion was the highlight of my last vacation.