Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona Bilbao Costa Brava Advice Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We'll be in Barcelona for seven days later this month (March) overlapping some with our grown kids, but husband and I have two days we can devote to Bilbao and the Guggenheim. Relative merits of flying both ways, flying one way and taking the train the other would be appreciated!

Also plan to take at least a day trip to Costa Brava. There will be 5 of us then (3 in mid-20s, 2 in early 60s) Merits of renting a car (we like to drive) vs. picking one spot and going by train or bus?
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 09:09 AM

Costa Brava

Originally Posted by kimfish1
Hi,

We'll be in Barcelona for seven days later this month (March) overlapping some with our grown kids, but husband and I have two days we can devote to Bilbao and the Guggenheim. Relative merits of flying both ways, flying one way and taking the train the other would be appreciated!

Also plan to take at least a day trip to Costa Brava. There will be 5 of us then (3 in mid-20s, 2 in early 60s) Merits of renting a car (we like to drive) vs. picking one spot and going by train or bus?
We spent 3 nights along the Costa Brava. We rented a car, and my husband did all the driving. I recommend renting a car because you will be able to see so many more places. If you go by train or bus, you are dependent on the train/bus schedules, which I would find limiting.

We spent 1 night in Cadaques and 2 nights in Girona. We made many stops along the way to Cadaques, such as Tossa de Mar, S'Agaro, and Callela Palagrugell. I imagine this would be difficult to do using public transportation.

When we left Girona, and before we returned to Barcelona, we spent a day driving through the Pyrenees. We stopped at Besalu, Ripoll, Rupit, and Vic.

Both the coastal scenery and mountain scenery are gorgeous!

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! This helps.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 10:33 AM

Actually, public transportation is pretty good in that area, but I too would drive so you can have the freedom to explore.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Bilboa is a long train ride from Barcelona - fly! Even a long drive.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 04:13 PM
kja

Originally Posted by kimfish1
Also plan to take at least a day trip to Costa Brava.
I would think it depends entirely on where, exactly, you want to go. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a car for just a day trip; if you want to spend 4 or 5 days along the Costa Brava, a car would likely prove very useful.

You might find some helpful information in my trip report, which includes Bilbao, the Costa Brava, and Barcelona; it's long, but searchable.
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya