Reload this Page >

Cost of Dinner in Chanteclair of Negresco in Nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:28 PM
25Honeymoon

My husband an I plan to celebrate our 25th anniversary in Nice. I want to reserve Chanteclair for dinner. I would like to get anwers to the following questions:<BR>1. how long in advance to reserve a dinner.<BR>2. What is the cost of an average dinner without extravaganza: appetizer, entry, desert, coffee, bottle of wine? <BR>No champaigne, caviar, etc.<BR><BR>I know Fodor's provides approximate numbers, but I would like to know the opinion of those who experienced it. <BR>Thank you

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Wendy

I would reserve this as soon as possible depending on the season. In the summer, it can be difficult to obtain a reservation. We found the food mediocre . For the two of us, a year ago in July, it ran just under $200.00 without an appetizer, but with a decent bottle of wine and dessert. There are other restaurants that I think are much better in and near Nice. For instance, L'Colombe d'Or in St. Paul de Vence, is far superior to Chanteclair, and quite romantic. Another place I've often recommended on this forum is "La Chaumiere", which is about 6 miles outside of Nice on the moyen corniche. If I can help further, just e-mail. And congratulations!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 05:58 PM
John G

I agree with Wendy 100%. Although I did not eat at the restaurant at the Negresco when I stayed there in June of '99, I was told by others that it was terrible. However, when I took a tour of St. Paul de Vence, a lady and her daughter I was touring with ate at Colombe d'Or and said it was "out of this world." I think they are listed in Michelin guide with 2 stars, and I think they have a hotel attached so you can stay there.<BR><BR>The Negresco Hotel itself has seen better days, also. The carpet in my room was worn and the paint was peeling around the windows. The doorman will constantly pester you to show him your room key if you try to walk into the lobby. I would never stay there again.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:06 AM
jjj

I have a friend who goes to Nice 3-5 times a year (she has money comming out her ears). She doesn't care about how much she spends or what she spends it on. (every week her and her husbad go out to $100+ restraunts)<BR><BR>She says that the food at the Chanteclair is not worth it, when they are there they will eat at the Negresco's other restraunt (Rondo??)at least twice. According to her, and she has excellent taste, you get better food there for your money.<BR><BR>I would imagine that a lot of people go to the Chantaclear just to say that they did it. There are a lot of great restraunt in Nice, besides this one. When we went last year (we by no means have money comming our of our ears, so we were on a strict budget)we never had a bad meal. We ate at a couple very nice restraunts, but mostly at casual places along the strip. Its the entire experience of being on the Rivera that makes it a trip to remember, the places we remember most, with some of the best food were among the least expensive.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:55 AM
eats

I totally disagree. We ate there in September 02, as well as in some very fine restaurants in Paris. The meal was fantastic, as well as the service. The food in their other restaurant did not compare.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:24 PM
25Honeymoon

I am greatful to everyone who replied, however the question I asked was about the price of the dinner. The quality of food is a matter of taste really, and I repect the opinion of ebveryone who answered. But I am talking about celebrating the 25 anniversary and the restaturant of my choice is Chantecler. The name and clout do have something to do with it. I believe that whatever is the quality of food, we will be satisfied. We seldom go to expensive restaurants, and especially to such as this. But this is a special occasion for us. My husband even agreed to put on a tie, which he does not do even for weddings. We want to be dressed finely and enjoy the ambience of one of the most famous restaurants in the world.<BR>The reason I am extremely interested in prices though, is because we travel with another couple that might consider the bill too high for their budget, and I do not want to incur the unnecessary expences on them. <BR>That why my appeal to those who was there, done. BTW, reservations are made and the tie is purchased. <BR>But I am writing down every other restaurant recommendation to use for other nights in Nice, so I am really appreciative of input.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:18 AM
ttt

TTT