Court of the Two Sisters

Search

Court of the Two Sisters

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Court of the Two Sisters

I was planning a birthday dinner at Court of the Two Sisters in NO during our vacation there the end of the month, but I was disturbed to see such a bad experience reported in another thread. I was there 20 years ago and had such a great meal, but I see that it is not even reviewed in the Fodors list of restaurants. So does everyone agree it has become a tourist trap, or has anyone had a good meal there lately?
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Dan

It has become a tourist trap, at least in the minds of locals. I referred a lot of guests there when I worked at a local hotel and the feedback on the food was about 50/50. The setting is quite nice however. Some brunch guests didn't like buffet style dining and this turned them off.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 02:51 AM

By all means, go there for a cocktail, but do NOT waste your money on the food. I remember - decades ago - when it was good, too, but it isn't anymore.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:05 AM

I've copied a prior reply which I'll stand by.

"Author: LilMsFoodie
Date: 10/26/2003, 09:32 am

Message: I can recommend one courtyard to see but I'd just have a cocktail and dine elsewhere.

Court of the Two Sisters in the Quarter is one of the prettiest courtyards you'll see (that is open to the public) but the food is wretched and it is rather a trap at this point.

I first ate there when I was about 5 or 6 years old and thought it was the coolest place ever. I had a poor meal there about 25 years ago and then again last year (I had no choice as I was with a business group). I suffered through a miserable mess: hideously gelatinous onion soup, fish so overcooked you could crack it on the table, a wine that several of us decided was Sutter Home plonk masquerading as a sancerre and fetching about $55 per bottle.

Do look in though, it is very pretty. LMF"

There are so many wonderful restaurants in NO. I think Galatoires is great for celebrations.
LMF
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 08:13 AM

The setting is great, the people are nice, but the food is nothing to write home about. I had some coconut cake that was pretty tasty, but everything else was so so.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We looked in on the Court last week and it was very pretty but we too had heard the food was less inspiring than before. Pity.

Howsomever, we sucked up our experienced-based fears about dining in celebrity restaurants (yo Wolfgang) and had dinner at NOLA. All I can say is Bam. Went to our top ten with a bullet. Lovely room, fabulous service, okay prices, and the food, well...
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM

It is now a place to avoid and continues to decline. With the many good places to choose, keep looking. I don't recall the name of the lady & old gent who used to tend bar there but we were frequent visitors until he passed away (in the bar) & she retired (4 or 5 years ago). Miss May I believe was her name. Since she left, I don't think anyone is even in charge there anymore.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your imput. I am cancelling the reservation at Court of 2 Sisters and considering Muriels, which seems to get consistent good reviews. I guess I could pop in for a drink for old times sake. Too bad it declined.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 01:08 PM

vicki, the Muriel's website is muriels.com--has pictures of the restaurant and menus. Looks delicious!