Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any memorable restaurants in Nice France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gone to Nice yearly over the past 10 years and although I love that city, I have never found a really good restaurant. I am not searching for an expensive, fine dining experience (such as the Chanticleer in the Negreso). Also I am not interested in seafood. The worst meal I've ever eaten was in a Chinese restaurant near the Cours Saleya. The best meal has been at Le Merenda but although it's highly rated, the meal was nothing special. Italian was so-so. I refuse to eat at any Tex-Mex in France--that seems wrong (especially since I live in Denver where the food is authentically prepared) We are staying at Hotel Grimaldi near the pedestrian walk street in the heart of Nice so we would like to be able to walk to dinner. Perhaps two women alone at night should avoid Vieux Nice. Walking around the streets and reading menus is a very chancey method so I am hoping to leave May 11 with 4 specific restaurants to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Try Restaurant du Gesu in the old town. It doesn't look like much but it is frequented by locals and for what they do, they do it very well and it's cheap. I always stay in a flat in Nice and cook many of my own meals with fantastic food purchased at Cours Saleya.

For a snack, try Theresa's socca (purchased at the market or at the source in old town).

Chinese food in Paris is not very good and therefore I would expect it to be awful in Nice.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I go to Nice a lot, too, and one of my favorite places there is a very unpretentious Italian restaurant called BARRACUDA. It's located half a block down from the Promenade des Anglais on Rue Meyerbeer. The restaurant has wonderful pasta dishes, homemade lasagna,incredible pizza, and none of it will break the bank.

If you happen to hit LOTTO before you go, and/or are celebrating a really special evening, I can't recommend enough a place just outside of Nice called LA CHAUMIERE. It is not at all snobby, although people who go there don't appear in jeans. Be warned though that a cab there will cost you about $80 roundtrip! Dinner costs about $100 per person with wine, and includes a choice of fine meats or chickens grilled in the restaurant's dining room fireplace. All of this is accompanied by a zillion appetizers, including fresh vegetables from the garden and exquisite dips. Desserts ranging from homemade tarts to profiteroles and sorbets are extraordinary.

About wandering around Vieux Nice at night- I don't think you have much to worry about, although I'd avoid some of the less travelled alleyways! Nice is pretty busy, as you know, in the summertime, and since people are out until all hours, I dont think there's much of a problem. I'd be more worried about hanging out on the beach at night, or in the area immediately surrounding the train station.

Anyway, have fun in one of my favorite cities!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I love Barracuda as well. If anyone traveling with you likes seafood, have them try the mussels - absolutely divine!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM

You might try our old standby, L'Ecurie; it's at 4, Rue du Marché. The restaurant does both Niçois and Provençale food, along with some Italian. If you're licky, petit farçis, small vegetables stuffed with ground meat and rice, will be the daily special. The pâte au pistou is fine, and there's a wonderful garlicky salad. Pizza is very good as well.

I don't think you need to avoid Vieux Nice at night--there are always crowds, and we've never felt unsafe.

If you like seafood, head to the local favorite Café de Turin, near the Museum of Modern Art. Reservations are a must.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:51 PM
machin

The best seafood is at Le Grand Pavois on the rue Meyerbeer.
The best bar-restaurant in old Nice is L'Achiardo.

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:52 AM

Try Arcimboldo - 10 rue Meyerbeer. Small, owner-run Italian restaurant.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:20 AM

Really casual? I swear the best pizza I've ever had anywhere (and I've had it almost EVERYWHERE) was at a place simply called Pizza on Massena in Nice.

I love L'Ecurie as well. Have had wonderful rabbit, Provencale there, and the lamb chops are delicious.

I realize it's not what you want, but the finest meal I've ever had in the world was Le Chanticleer at the Negresco. I'll never go back because it could never match my incredible memory of the place.

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:44 AM

We went to Nice three years ago and found a wonderful restaurant;IL VINAINO in Rue Buffa. Recommended it to friends who went last year and they loved it too.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM

Ditto on the Chantecler restaurant in the Negresco! We had the good fortune to lunch there when Jacques Maximin was the chef and will never forget the food: best ever, anywhere. Wish we could go back in time! We've since tried his own restaurant in Vence and found it nowhere near as good.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Also for UNC
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM

We enjoyed La Diva in the old part of the town. We were going to eat at La Petite Maison, but it was too late to get a reservation, so we just walked across the street to La Diva, and were quite happy.
La Petite Maison:
Address 11 rue St-Francois de Paule
La Diva --is close by, might be Rue de Opera...can't remember. We just walked to it from La Petite Maison.

Old May 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Last fall we discovered La Voglia, a terrific Italian restaurant right on the edge of the Cours Saléya where the entrance to the of wonderful food, and interesting modern décor!