Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Penzance and will have 4 full days there. We already have tickets to see Pride and Prejudice at the Minack theater and a good idea of the guidebook type of things to see and do. I would appreciated suggestions for some things to see and do that are not the usual tourist stuff. Our tastes are eclectic. Our trip is in mid June, so gardens should be in bloom - any special ones?
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 08:45 PM

How about visiting annhig? That's what we're hoping to do on our trip the beginning of May. You could also take a boat out to visit the Iles of Scilly. We decided not to because of the costs,but it might suit you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

We also decided against Scilly mainly because of the time factor - I have no idea about the cost. I thought of contacting annhig but under the circumstances with her DH thought it best not to. Too bad our visits do not overlap. It would have been nice to have dinner with you and runningtab. Have you decided on where you will stay. We will be at a B&B called the Stanley.
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 04:03 AM

We're staying at the Longboat Inn the night of the 9th of May, so will miss you, but are hopeful we can plan a GTG with annihig, all dependent on her and her husband's circumstances, of course. We have planned this trip around tickets we have in Bristol for a Procul Harum concert (we adore the voice of Gary Brooker - we met him in Souillac, where he has a house last year) and want to savor the joys of Cornwall while we're at it. We're going to visit the Ile of Wight at the end of our trip because it was ever so much cheaper than the Iles of Scilly and looks more interesting, plus we can fly from Southampton home to Beregerac for about 30€.
Old Apr 29th, 2017, 03:36 PM

My favorite activity on our Cornwall visit (where we stayed in Penzance and did day trips by bus) was the visit to St. Michael's Mount. Do check the tides so that you can walk over and back on the stone walkway and not get washed away.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 11:15 AM

I love hunting out the old abandoned tin mines - very atmospheric.

I also like creekside walks with pub stops - lots around the Fal estuary/carrick roads.

Find the mermaid in Zennor.

Swim some tidal pools if you are brave (use wild swimming sites for this)