Aweek in Cornwall & Devon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you only had one week in which to see the best of Cornwall and Devon, where would you go? Where would you stay? Would you stay in a different hotel or inn every night, or move from place to place? What's the most picturesque village? Which is the most charming? I've dreamed of going all of my life, and I want to do it right!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:48 PM

Polperro in Cornwall is beautiful, I spent nearly a whole day there, it has everything you'd expect of an old smugglers cove. All of Devon and Cornwall are worth exploring and quite easy if you want to base in the one central area, possibly Plymouth.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:36 AM
jmw

Hi Athena, I do envy you! Driving? Public Transportation? I can't add anything from experience, but would love to hear about the possibilities of exploring Devon and Cornwall by train and bus. And of course I'll continue to look in to see which 'favorite places' are recommended to you. Bon voyage, J.

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:28 AM

West Country (Cornwall and Devon )is one of my favorite areas in U.K. I have visited quite a few times through different months. It is a huge area with many diversities, I am afraid a week isn't rally enough to see them all.<BR><BR>Will you be driving? Or taking public transportation? If driving, it is feasible to change from one place to the other every day. Otherwise, I would suggest staying at two places for the convenience of train/bus network-please check: www.carfreedaysout.com for the complete details(routes, timetables,rover passes). You could send for a free map,it is extremely helful for arranging your trip. It would be easier to make suggestion if we know the mode of your travelling.<BR><BR>Would you let us know what interests you most? historical buildings/sites? gardens? beaches? old towns?fishing villages? walking in remote moors/coastal paths? riding little old trains through valleies? windsurfing? visiting art galleries/ beautuful cathedrals?
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Part I - We love Cornwall. Although we enjoy the drive through Devon to get there, we always end up renting a self catering cottage somewhere in Cornwall. We stayed in: St. Mawes, Porthleven, Tintagel and Crackington Haven.<BR><BR>Our favourite visit was to St. Mawes this past fall. We rented a cottage through http://www.roselandholidaycottages.co.uk/<BR><BR>In St. Mawes, which is a lovely village on a gorgeous harbour you can visit the castle which was built by Henry VIII and has great views and a nice garden. You have a wonderful view of the village of St. Mawes, the harbour, St. Antony�s lighthouse and Falmouth, across the bay. You can also take a pedestrian ferry fr. the harbourmaster�s in St. Mawes to Falmouth. We enjoyed our pints at the Ship &amp; Castle pub right on the harbour. You can sit outside or inside on comfy sofas. Is quite a hot spot in the evening. We ate at the Victory Inn - great food and prices. We can recommend the fish and chips and chicken and mushroom pasta. Also a cybercafe here on the harbour, 1 pound for 10 min., 5 pounds for an hr.<BR><BR>The Roseland Peninsula, where St. Mawes is located, is really lovely. Visit St. Just-in-Roseland, where this beautiful church is right on the water�s edge. We had a great dinner at the Roseland Inn, a 16th c. pub at Philleagh (had roast beef dinner w. Yorkshire pud and home-made cornish pasty with salad). The villages of Portscatho (pub - The Plume of Feathers - can sit outside), Portloe (great pub - the Old Ship - stilton and broccoli soup and ploughman�s) and beach at Rosevine. Also wonderful hotel here called The Lugger Inn) and Veryan (where you can see round, thatched cottages available for rent) are great.<BR><BR>Can spend a day heading towards Helston, stopping to visit all the charity shops in this market town. On the way there can detour to visit Trebah Gardens, amazing. American units actually left from the little bay here during D-Day. Have a pint or dinner in Porthleven, a great little fishing village with a man-made harbour with the church on one side and the Ship Inn on the other. Walk out on the quay and watch the fishermen and the ocean hit against the rocks. Place features in many of the Wycliffe mysteries. We enjoyed dinner at The Harbour Inn (rib-eye steak and lasagne). Visit the bizarre Looe Pool where a lake and the ocean meet.<BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Part II - Can also drive towards Penzance (as in Pirates of). See St. Michael’s Mount on the way but remember to bring your good walking shoes. Quite a hike to the castle entrance, but well worth it once you get there. You may have to cross by small boat if the tide is in, otherwise you can walk along a causeway to get there (looks somewhat like Mont St. Michel in France). Further on is Land’s End, which has been terribly commercialized, but if you turn your back on all that there is some lovely coastline. Might also consider attending a play at the Minack Open Air Theatre, carved out of the cliffs overlooking the ocean. From Penzance you can also take day trips to the Scilly Islands.<BR><BR>If you drive north from St. Mawes you can visit Lanhydrock House (my favourite National Trust estate). I think it has the most rooms to be seen in any NT property. Then head into the Bodmin Moor and to Bolventor where you can have a pint at the Jamaica Inn. Part of it is too touristy but ignore that and enjoy the inside of the smuggler’s pub. Then head southeast towards Cotehele House, another great NT property.<BR><BR>You can also spend a day exploring the villages in mid-Cornwall, particularly Port Isaac, Tintagel (where King Arthur is supposed to have lived - the town is tacky, but the cliffs walks are spectacular), Boscastle and the great beach at Widemouth Bay. On the way can stop at Pandora Inn at Restronguet Creek, a 13th c. thatched pub that was supposedly a smuggler’s hideaway. Some people like St. Ives, I don’t, but there is a branch of the Tate Gallery that is worthwhile.<BR><BR>As you can tell, I’m nuts about Cornwall. If you go, you’ll have a great time.<BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:00 AM

I love the west country too. As above, I agree with Polperro, Mousehole, Looe, Tintagel as being picturesque. Clovelly is lovely perched on the cliffside, but very touristy. If I remember correctly, you have to pay to get in the village!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM
JMM

In Devon: Lynton/Lynmouth - beautiful ocean views and wonderful walks<BR>In Cornwall:just about any of the places other people have mentioned.<BR>Also, not in Devon but very close - Lyme Regis in Dorset is very special.<BR>A week is not enough but at least you will get a glimpse of this lovely part of England.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your posts. Yes, we will be driving. I can hardly wait! <BR><BR>I'd welcome recommendations for lodgings. No self-catering for me. I'll be on vacation. Some place with a view of the sea or the harbor would be great. We are sailors and we love boats. Also, I live in land-locked Dallas, Texas and I long for the sound of gulls and the smell of sea air. We also enjoy cathedrals, ruined castles and abbeys, long waalks on deserted beaches, beautiful gardens.<BR><BR>I love it that so many of you have said a week is not enough. I have to laugh at those who think they can see the whole country in two weeks -- and throw in Scotland, as well!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 03:19 PM

ricmav<BR>We have considered going to Cornwall for a couple of weeks and have friends from London who like Fowey. Do you have anything to say about Fowey? And I must say that reading your suggestions here has made my husband and I more eager to plan a trip to Cornwall than ever before! Thank you, Scarlett~
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Athena: Do reconsider self-catering. It does not mean you have to cook your meals. I don't do much cooking on vacation either, but I do &quot;self-catering&quot; at least some of almost every trip. I still eat most meals in pubs and restaurants. But having all the extra space, a full kitchen including a washer/dryer, a private garden etc - and cheaper than most hotels/B&amp;Bs - makes it a wonderful way to travel.<BR><BR>And Cornwall/Devon is a great area to rent a cottage. If you stay in western Devon or eastern Cornwall you will be within driving distance of EVERYTHING in both counties plus most of Dorset. <BR><BR>You will make much better use of your time if you have a &quot;home&quot; to go back to evey evening instead of having to pack up and move on every day or two. And if you pick a cottage in a seaside village you will be walking distance to great pubs and restaurants so you don't have to drive at night.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Athena, As Janis says, self catering is the term the English use, it really means you are renting your own little cottage, leaving you free to eat out all your meals or eat some at home, as you like. We particularly like going to the local Tesco or Budgens to get groceries, another way to meet the locals. And it means we can keep supplies for picnics, have a cold soft drink when we want and store our film (we always bring loads of it). If you check the site I posted in my original post, you will see the variety of cottages you can rent. Some right on the water. And if you like being near the water with the breeze and gulls, etc. St. Mawes is a great place, particularly its beautiful harbour.<BR><BR>Scarlett, we haven't stayed near Fowey, although have also heard it's nice. When are you planning to go to Cornwall?
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Hi<BR>We thought that summer would be best, it would be nice to have as many days as possible to walk outdoors. So August might be nice. To tell you the truth, I would go just about anytime that I could! I always fantasize about living there
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Scarlet: August is not really the best time for Cornwall - In fact it is probably the only bad time. Two areas of the UK (Cornwall and the Lake District) get really, REALLY crowded in late July and all of August. The narrow roads in the SW cannot cope with the crowds and 10 or 15 mile traffic jams are not unusual and 20 mile ones on August weekends are common.<BR><BR>June/early July have as good weather as August but the crowds are a fraction of what you'd see then. Plus most accomodations charge more in August.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:20 PM

Oh, OK, thanks!<BR>Our friends go in August so I just figured that was the warmest best time. We can go just about whenever we want so June/July is fine <BR>Thanks so much~
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:10 AM

Athena and Scarlett<BR><BR>I am sure you are going to love visiting Devon and Cornwall. The main attractions are the champagne like sea air, the fantastic fresh seafood and calorie inducing clotted cream, fudge and ice cream.<BR><BR>I agree with Janis that the way to see and do the area is to rent a cottage (self-catering) and then make day trips.<BR><BR>My take on some of the gems<BR><BR>Cornwall<BR><BR>1 St. Ives - sorry Rickmav this is my favourite place. St Ives combines the charm of an old fishing village with the quality restaurants and shops of a fashionable resort frequented by those interested in the arts. It also boasts two amazing beaches - one bracing beach for surfing called Porthmeor and a sheltered beach called Porthminster for families. <BR><BR>Explore beyond the pasty shops and tacky amusement arcade on the harbour and you will see enchanting cobbled streets with whitewashed houses and street names like The Digey and Teetotal Street<BR><BR>2. St Michael's Mount - The English (sorry should be Cornish) Mont St Michel. Owned by a private family you can either visit the island by boat at high tide or walk across at low tide. The view over St Michaels Mount is so special it even made it on to the BBC as one of its branded trailers<BR><BR>3. Polperro and Mevagissey - two tiny working fishing villages where you can still see the catch coming in. Polperro is more touristy and even has it's own little train taking people around the village. Mevagissey is perfect combined with a trip to the Lost Gardens of Heligan<BR><BR>4. Gardens. Any one of the Lost Gardens of Heligan, Lanhydrock and Trelissick are must sees for garden lovers. Cornwall has the mildest climate in the UK and some very exotic plants. Also I should mention the slightly overhyped Eden Project containing various types of flora and fauna in futuristic domes.<BR><BR>5. Minack Theatre - Dramatic open theatre cut into the rock near Lands End. You simply can not imagine a more breathtaking setting for a play like Macbeth. If going here you must travel to the quiet and picturesque Lamorna Cove and if you like walks on deserted beaches try Porthleven.<BR><BR>Scarlett - as for Fowey it is a smart resort favoured by the city crowd but lacks a beach. It has some great shops though and a charming ferry service across the estuary.<BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Part 2 - Devon<BR><BR>By contrast to the rugged splendour of Cornwall. Devon is all about lush green fields and chocolate box thatched villages although the county is separated in two by the towering and sometimes bleak moorland of Dartmoor.<BR><BR>North Devon - must sees include Croyde -the ultimate thatched village and Clovelly (similar in style to Polperro in Cornwall). The 3 miles of sands at Putsborough and Woolacombe are spectacular. The extraordinary Lynton and Lynmouth one on the top of the cliff and the other at the bottom and the National Trust woodland of Watersmeet - beautiful scenery. North Devon even has its own moorland called Exmoor.<BR><BR>South Devon - Exeter is the capital and has an impressive cathedral and great shops. Plymouth has the historic naval connections - see where Francis Drake was first warned about the Spanish Armada while playing bowls. Salcombe is an exclusive sailing resort. Cockington a touristy but beautiful thatched village. There is also a spectacular coastal walk along Hope Cove and Bigbury Bay overlooking Burgh Island and its famous hotel.<BR><BR>Hope some of these insights may be of help
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:26 AM

<BR>That does it! I am moving to Cornwall! Thank you Andrew. Although Devon sounds heavenly also. You see, this is the problem I have with England. There are just sooo many wonderful lovely places to go and so little time! <BR>This will all go into my folder for the planning of our next UK trip.<BR>Thank you very much, Athena, maybe we will see you there! Scarlett
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:30 AM

I highly recommend the Abbey Hotel in Penzance. We spent a week in Cornwall a few years ago and anxiously look forward to a return trip. We found Penzance was an excellent place to base ourselves during our Cornwall holiday. The food at The Abbey is outstanding but we also loved The Turk's Head and ate there whenever our return to Penzance was going to be 'late'.<BR><BR>Loved St. Ives and Mousehole - spent one day walking from Penzance to Newlin and up 'widow's walk'. If you enjoy the changing look of the sea you will love strolling along the paths at Lands End (just make sure to bring a jacket as it can be very windy and you'll appreciate a jacket). The Mincak Theater is awesome, but again, make sure you bring warm clothes as it will be chilly at night (we were there in July). You can make a day trip out of a visit to the Scilly Islands but I strongly advise taking the helicopter rather than the ferry. The seas can be rough and the helicopter ride will get you there in time to enjoy an entire day on the Scilly's. You'll love St. Michael's Mount - if you choose to arrive my train to Penzance, it is really a wonderful sight to see the mount rising out of the sea with the fairy tale castle at the top. Make sure you check the tide timetable - it is wonderful to be able to walk out to the Mount over the cobbled causeway that is only accessible during low tide.<BR><BR>Enjoy your holiday to Cornwall. I guarantee you'll be planning a return trip. If you have not all ready done so, I highly recommend Rosamund Pilcher's book, The Shell Seekers. Ms. Pilcher has written a number of books that take place in Cornwall but that is my favorite.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

I am so grateful to all who took the time to write to me about this. Thank you Janis and Rickmay for straightening me out about self-catering. Having our own cottage sounds ideal, although we really enjoy meeting new people at the different stops along the way. But I'll consider it. Only a month until we go. Can't wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -