Search

Cornwall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornwall

I am really caught up in all the King Arthur myth so I'm spending 4 days in Boscastle, England, near Tintagel Castle. Has anyone been there? I would like to do some hiking along the coast. Is that possible? If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it very much. Any sites or quaint villages I shouldn't miss? This is for mid-Aug. Debbie
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
ron

You certainly can hike the coast in that area, it is part of the 600+ mile South West Coast Path national trail. See www.southwestcoastpath.com/

I have done the walk from Tintagel village past the castle to Boscastle. It was quite eery seeing the castle rise out of the mist or fog. Lots of ups and downs, but not difficult walking.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM

>I would like to do some hiking along the coast. Is that possible? If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it very much.< From Padstow, a very nice town, you can walk the beautiful coastal path to Trevone and back, or even out to the Trevose Head.

>Any sites or quaint villages I shouldn't miss?< Clovelly!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup! Below is the link to my trip report. We enjoyed Tintagel but didn't really fancy Boscastle. Boscastle is very small and located in a tiny valley with just a handful of houses. I just didn't see any enchantment but maybe it was just me.

Clovelly is a wonderful village to see, as well as Tintagel and a few others!

My trip report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...dges+southwest
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 02:13 AM

Hi Debbie,
We spent two nights in Boscastle just a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. One of our primary reasons for staying there was to visit Tintagel, as I too love the King Arthur mythology! We stayed at the Bottreaux Hotel, which is at the top of the hill rather than down near the harbor. From the Bottreaux a street leads down the hill to the rest of the village, lined with ancient white cottages with lovely gardens. I thought the village was really nice and a great base for exploring the area. The town of Tintagel was crowded and full of tourist junk, but the castle ruins are fantastic. Be sure to buy the guidebook and take your time exploring the "almost" island. From there you can walk south to the little church perched near the cliffs and then back to the town.

In Boscastle, we took a wonderful walk to the church, out to the headlands, north along the coast trail to the Boscastle harbor, and back up through the village to our hotel.

I believe it's 3 miles on the coast trail from Boscastle to Tintagel.

We also enjoyed Port Isaac, a fishing village a bit further south. You must park in a lot above the town and then walk down. We went for a walk along the coast trail to the south, which gives you great views of the town.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyone's help!!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM

I've spent several summers in Boscastle - we rent the last-but-one house on the right as you go down the main hill towards the harbour!

We love it there. A do-not-miss is St Nectan's Glen. Secretively hidden between Boscastle and Tintagel off the coast road is the magical St Nectan's Glen, with what we call the Magic Waterfall. It is a place of incredible quietness and of healing. One of Cornwall's Sacred Sites, it is a magical and tranquil special place, yet visited by only a few who know it is there, and can be bothered to find it.

http://www.stnectan.currantbun.com/stnectan.htm
The village of St Juliot is where Thomas Hardy lived and met his wife Emma.

You can walk up to the headland on either side of Boscastle harbour. On the right, Pengally Point, there is a blowhole where if the tide is right spray comes up, and you can walk up to the white lodge on the opposite headland too. Fantastic views but not for the vertiginously inclined!

We have eaten most places in Boscastle, we like the Cobweb Inn, the Napoleon at the top of the village (you might need to book here), the Spinning Wheel, but all are good. On Tuesday and Thursday nights there is karaoke or folk music at the Wellington (known as the Welly) which can be good fun later on in the evening.

Up the other hill out of the village towards Bude, someone sells fresh vegetables and fruit on their drive and it's worth a stop.

We have been to most beaches, some are not even there at high tide so take care, and like Crackington Haven. Best for surfing is Widemouth Bay. Bude is a pleasant town which we are fond of. Tintagel is pretty touristy but there is a great pasty shop down one end of the High Street. Lots of crystal shops and models of wizards and witches for sale everywhere.

But have a great time!

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Again, you all are so helpful. I love all the specific information. Thank you so much!!!