Search

Cordoba

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:00 AM
ChatNoir

Cordoba

First time visitor to Spain. In addition to three days in Seville and Madrid, I was thinking of adding a short trip to Cordoba.

We like art, history, old buidings, churches, markets, local wine and food and people watching. Do some shopping, but its not real high on the list.

Is one night enough or could it be done as a daytrip from Seville?

What are the main attractions and sights? I found these: Mezquita-Catedral, Palacio Museo de Viana, and Museo Arduellgico.

Is the old quarter walkable? Suggested places to eat or sleep are appreciated.

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

you should add Medina Azahara in Cordoba. The place is an old morish palace from the year 1000 dedicated to Abderraman daughter, and it is atonishment.

It is place about 8Km from Cordoba.

Cordoba is doable as a daytrip, but if you add Medina, you should stay that night in the city.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:53 AM

IMO the mesquita/mosque in Cordoba is one of the most amazing and unique sights I have seen in 10+ trips to Europe - the mosque itself is amazing and then smack dab in the middle of it, is this baroque cathedral. We got off the AVE between Madrid and Seville, put our luggage in lockers at the station and went to Cordoba for the afternoon - you could spend the nite too, its a pretty city to walk around, but three of four hours is actually enough to see the mosque.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:07 AM
ChatNoir

Thanks for the inputs. Sounds like a neat place to visit.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:25 PM
ChatNoir

ttt

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Chat Noir,

I think you could do Cordoba as a daytrip from Sevilla although if you give up a day in Sevilla you will miss some other things. The Mezquita is definitely worth seeing. It is unbelievable. I do not know what those other two sites you reference are. Possibly the Museo Arqueologico (Archeology Museum) or the Museo Taurino (the Bullfight Museum) but the latter is almost all in Spanish with little translated. The Reales Alcazares of Cordoba are lovely, but the ones in Sevilla are better.

We enjoyed the Hotel Amistad, built right into the old city walls. Enjoyed a great meal at Taberna Salinas which is off the beaten path a little and filled with locals. Had both tapas one day and a sit down dinner the next day at Taberna Pepe de la Juderia which is more centrally located.

Absolutely the Old Quarter is walkable! There is also one of the only 3 remaining synagogues in all of Spain in the Juderia still.

Maria

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM
ChatNoir

maria, thanks for the info. We are still torn about sending the night or just doing a long daytrip. I guess all novices to spain go through the same thing. Either way looks to be fun. I've seen the Hotel Amistad mentioned on this site several times.

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 02:33 PM

I did it as a daytrip and it seemed about right. Easy to do via train.