is there a night train?
do we need reservations?
time involved?
transfer trains?
2nd class day train with table?

which is "best"?

many THANKS
Aug 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM

In the daytime it's about 10 hours with seemingly two changes of train - the first segment from Copenhagen is by X2000 and requires reservations before boarding - other segments seem to not require reservations

No direct overnight train Copenhagen to Oslo but there is one from Malmo, just over the new rail bridge-tunnel spanning the Ore Sound - train laeves Malmo 23:08, arrives in Oslo 7:00 (may not run Saturday nights - check if Sat) - and advanced booking are required on this train.

I am using the Wunderbar German rail site which has schedules for nearly all European trains. To access the English schedule page of the bahn.de or German rail site go to: http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/ - and on the home page look for the box Best On-Line Timetable and then click on the link All European Railway Timetables (or some such wording) and then pops up the English language schedule page that i use to search for trains from "Kopenhagen Hbf to Oslo - i refer you to this home page becau it also gives several good tips on using the bahn.de site - such as saying whether reservations are compulsory on your trains - if it says "Please reserve" that seems just to mean you can reserve - if it says nothing than no reservations are even possible.
Capiche?
Aug 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Palenque.....
EXACTLY what I was looking for, plus the web site will assist me in the future. GREAT info., as the overnight from Malmo would suit us fine.
What a gem you are and so very rapid.
Many THANKS
Aug 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Palenque.....
To add to my earlier comment........... you are located in Mexico? If so, I am considering driving from Mexico City to Oaxaca...... what are your thoughts? Would like to do this to coincide w/the Day of the Dead, celebration. Have driven Mexico City, Taxco, by pass Acapulco onto Zihau, around and back to Mexico. Also many a miles in the Yucatan, MANY,onto Belize, also.
Am a white, married couple in our mid 60's early 70 age bracket. (If you know how to tranfer this to the Mexico information...feel free to do so)
THOUGHTS???
Thanks, again.
Aug 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM

leila - no not domiciled in Mexico and have no wortwhile knowledge that would help you - i do suggest you visit the Mexico forum on Fodor's and i'm sure you'll get some first-hand experience. Thanks for your nice comments.
Aug 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM

leila - you know about the 7pm rule on taking overnight trains? (If you have a flexipass - if a consecutive day pass irrelevant

anyone board an overnight train like the Malmo to Oslo one after 7pm and you put the next day in as your unlimited flexible travel day - getting 7pm to midnight gratis - thus once in Oslo you could travel onto Bergen or anywhere and only use one day on a flexipass (from Malmo)
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM

and to clarify the 7pm rule is only for the exact overnight train itself - not for the connecting train from Copenhagen to Malmo - and if a flexipass you may want to pay the $20-25 or so for that out of pocket as it would then require two days on a flexipass to go Copenhagen - Malmo-Oslo. Trains that get you to the overnight train, even though they may leave after 7pm do not qualify for the 7pm rule.
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Besides bahn.de for schedules, it's also worth knowing about seat61.com for lots of info on trains all over the world. Also, it's too late now, but before buying a pass it's worth checking railsaver.com.
Aug 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Re: railsaver.com - yup check it and if it tells you you do not need a pass but are better with regular tickets then you can be sure you are not close to having a pass break even (but IMO there may be other reasons for a pass besides cost effectiveness) - but if they say you do need a pass it does not mean, on a cost basis vs regular tickets that you need a pass

why? because railsaver lists prices, at least to my knowledge - i have not checked them lately - for tickets sold in the USA - exactly like the often criticized (somewhat falsely IMO) RailEurope - in fact ACP Rail (a k a Wandrian Rail) is run by former RailEurope folks and is a direct competitor of RailEurope. so it's like saying IMO about railsaver.com to compare RailEurope prices with the pass price. Indeed RailEurope has the exact same mechanism as railsaver.com but no on on Fodor's would ever recommend RailEurope but do railsaver.com. Makes little sense.

I echo thursdaysd's take on seat61.com and always recommend them in many posts for the huge amount of great info - even though seat61.com links to the evil devil RailEurope on its home page!