Trains is Scandinavia

Search

Trains is Scandinavia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains is Scandinavia

I know about the scenic train rides in Norway (Norway in a nutshell) but was wondering of others in Sweden and Denmark. I will be traveling through these countries with a Eurail pass. Thanks
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:45 PM

The fact that your post dropped down to Number 101 without a reply, is I'm afraid possibly indicative of the general comment that scenic train trips in Denmark and Sweden are pretty thin on the ground.<BR>Are you heading for the Norway in a Nutshell territory?<BR>If so then my advice would be to move as quickly as possible from Copenhagen to Oslo, and save all the time you can for the Norwegian Fiords, which leave the rest for dead, scenically.<BR>This can be done by train from Copenhagen to Malmo, to Gothenburg, to Oslo, but it is a long journey, and not particularly inspiring. A night train may be the answer.<BR>The best way from Copenhagen to Oslo is by overnight steamer - one leaves at approx.1700 every evening, arriving Oslo 0900 next morning. Your Eurail pass may get you a discount, I'm not sure. There are of course, adequate cabins for sleeping on the boat.<BR>On my trip a few years ago, I really enjoyed 2 nights in Copenhagen, and thoroughly enjoyed Bergen and the fiords, but felt that Stockholm, Gothenburg and to a lesser extent Oslo, were basically a waste of precious time.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 09:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We road the rails last summer through Scandinavia -- mostly overnight trips, but it was mostly daylight or twilight, so I'll give you my personal favorites, other than the Oslo - Bergen run, which you already know about. The ride from Stockholm up to Storlien was beautiful. The ride from Storlien to Trondheim incredible (not to mention, a stop in Hell -- name of town, not description), but the ride from Trondheim to Oslo was awesome.<BR><BR>Traveling from Copenhagen to Stockholm was pretty boring from a scenic standpoing. <BR><BR>But from Copenhagen on the overnight train to Duisberg in Germany, we passed farmland in Denmark that had the most unique feature we had EVER seen: pigs with their own personal houses. I'm not kidding, each pig had its own house. I have photos to prove this!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 09:52 PM

Typo: &quot;road&quot; should be &quot;rode&quot;
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 09:54 PM

And standpoing is, of course, standpoint. Sorry, I've been up since 5 a.m. and am getting a bit loopy.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Apart from the Nutshell trip Norway has a terrific line from Dombas to �ndalsnes and also from Bod� to Trondheim.