time allocated in each city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to scandinavia and wanted some suggestions please. Is this a feasable plan.

August 15-- arrive Copenhagen in the afternoon
August 16- copenhagen
August 17- Copenhagen
August 18- flight to stockholm early morning
August 19- stockholm
August 20- stockholm
August 21- flight to olso early am
August 22- norway in nutshell
august 23 oslo flight back home late afternoon

any recommendations on neighborhoods/hotels to stay. Im in my 30's female traveling alone. want to be able to walk or bike everywhere. want lively neighborhood with lots to do.

thank you very much for suggestions
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 07:45 AM

It's not very much time in each place. 2.5 days each in Copenhagen and Stockholm doesn't leave much time for much apart from a taste of those cities. What is your budget for a hotel, bearing in mind these are expensive countries? Copenhagen and Stockholm were made for cycling and walking so won't have an issue with that.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Time to allocate in each city? Well in that short time frame I think you have it about right - if not wanting to fly high-speed trains now roll between Copenhagen and Stockholm and there is an overnight train many nights Stockholm to Oslo - get a private compartment and everything is so so cool - trains from Oslo to Voss then bus to Gudvagen then boat on Norway's largest fjord to Flam and mountain train to Myrdhal and train back to Oslo - a long day but possible, especially sans luggage.

For lots of great info on Scandinavian trains and Norway in Nutshell (one of the most dramatically scenic adventures I've ever been on in years of European travels) here are some great sources: www.ricksteves.com; wwwbudgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com as well as the official site www.norwayinanutshell.com - buy one inclusive ticket for all forms of Nutshell transport at station in Oslo I believe.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 08:27 AM

I would if I were you - consider knocking off Stockholm and spending more time in Copenhagen and a day in Bergen - from which the NIN tour is a lot easier as a day trip and is also one of the neatest most historic Scandinavian cities I've been in (being one of the ancient Hanseatic ports).
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

i just realized i can do the NIN without going into Oslo. I rather cut out Oslo than Stockholm

15- copenhagen
16- copenhagen
17-copenhagen
18-fly to bergen
19- Norway in Nutshell
20- fly to stockholm
21- stockholm
22- stockholm
23 stockholm fly back home

Im very active and love to be on the go. I am used to hectic vacations, but thats what i like. I wake up early and spend the entire day out siteseeing etc until late. i enjoy the busy days, but this may be a better itinerary. Suggestions please and thank you.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM

If I had to cut one I'd cut Oslo too - having been there three times and never really seeing much reason to linger - oh not a bad city but so so modern and expensive!

I think doing the NIN from Bergen is a smashing good plan - much more relaxed than from Oslo.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 08:01 AM

Oh yes that's the blog that says Swedes are as welcoming as Latin Americans.

<<Do you know IKEA and H&M? Guess where they come from?>> Yes, I do and it's not Stockholm.

<<it is the home of Absolut Vodka.>> Skåne is the home of Absolut vodka, in southern Sweden, which is a long way from Stockholm.

<<Do you happen to remember the famous band Abba?>> Yes, I can just about remember Abba. Only Benny comes from Stockholm.

<<It is highly influenced by American culture.>> Don't agree with that. Do you say this because they have McDonalds?

<<The Airport is located in Arlanda>> There are 3 airports serving Stockholm.

<<If you are planning to buy alcohol in the city, find a Liquor Market.>> If you are planning to buy alcohol in the city, you need to find Systembolaget, a government owned store that sells alcohol.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to give me suggestions. VERY much appreciated.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Oh yes that's the blog that says Swedes are as welcoming as Latin Americans.>

Well if so they are very friendly then - quite the opposite of the feeling I got in Stockholm - not that they were unfriendly but very smug and proper - something about having the best culture and social net, etc in the world. 'being so so advanced' - which IMO they are indeed. the Nanny State that someday everyone will and should have - in about 2,000 years or so!
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 02:22 PM

We had just one afternoon and evening in Oslo and loved it. While I wouldn't recommend two or three days, if you can fit it into your trip (start at Akershus Castle and plan a walk thru the city to Vigeland Park), I would (loved Bergen and Copenhagen as well). Can't comment on Stockholm.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 02:24 PM

and while Tivoli might be considered a bit 'corny', it has a certain magic to it. Definitely go at night, it's worth it.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok so u extended my trip by 1 day and this is what I have decided on
August 15-18 Copenhagen
August 18-20 Bergen and NIN
August 20-23 - Stockholm
24 back home

Any recommendations on a nice centrally located hotel in these cities? Nothing too expensive but a decent hotel. Thank you
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 05:53 AM

I just came from Bergen a couple weeks ago. I can recommend Bergen B&B. I booked it through Venere.com

Here's what I wrote in my notes: Nice old building, very ‘old world’ atmosphere, on a tiny cobbled lane less than ten minutes walk from the fish market/TI (20 minutes from the train station; flybus from airport stops at the fish market). Three rooms, two on the third floor and one on the second, kitchen on the first. They share two bathrooms (2nd floor and 1st floor). Clean, modern furnishings, free wi-fi (worked great), satellite TV, mini fridge. The hosts, Christian and Kristina are extremely nice, they make waffles for breakfast every day, there is also free juice and coffee all day and you can use the kitchen. Great place in a great location for a decent (for Norway) price of 990nok/$163 night.

Here's their email - [email protected]

Bergen, and also Copenhagen and Stockholm which I did on previous trips, is extremely expensive. Be prepared.

NIN was 'worth' it though.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 11:20 AM

Copenhagen - we stayed at the Clarion Collection Hotel Mayfair. Nice clean hotel, not overly expensive. Best part is that they included both breakfast and a light dinner (there was plenty of food... it's a little buffet with soup, bread, and small plates of pasta, etc.). Not great and I wouldn't eat it 3 straight days, but can help save some money. We stayed at another one of their properties for one night in Oslo and dinner was quite good (great mushroom soup, salad, fresh bread, etc.).

Bergen - we stayed at www.kjellersmauet.no. Cute little apartments in a nice location. Steep, narrow stares so beware if you have lots of luggage.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

can anyone please suggest where to stay in stockholm. Im having a difficult time trying to find a hotel. i want to be in the center of everything so that i can just walk everywhere. from what i been reading the old town is the place to be, but all hotels are extrememly expensive. if i stay in another neighborhood, can i walk there. Any suggestions will be very appreciated