Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm in 16 days?

May 9th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi friends!

I'm trying to plan a 2 week trip to Scandanavia, and I've read through the other topics on here but my trip order and priorities are a bit different, so was hoping for some opinions and advice.

I'm headed to Copenhagen at the end of May and and leaving on June 15 back home to lovely San Francisco. Here's my rough itinerary:

May 31: Arrive in Copenhagen
-- 5 days in Copenhagen,
-- including a day trip to Malmo during this time
June 5: Travel to Oslo (what's the best way here?)
-- 2 days in Oslo (I heard it's expensive!)
June 8: Travel to Helsinki
-- 1 day in Helinki
June 10: Travel to Tallinn for a day trip via ferry
June 11: Travel to Stockholm via ferry overnight
-- 4 days in Stockholm
June 15: Fly home to San Francisco

I'll be traveling alone, interested in seeing the city culture, some sightseeing, hiking, shopping, exploring, nature Would you spend any more or less time in each place? I know it's not enough time in each, but looking to get a good introduction to this whole area, so I can come back and explore one deeper! (I'm thinking Norway will need its own separate trip one day in the winter.)

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated. Thanks again!
May 9th, 2015, 08:31 AM

Well why not reorganize your trip to go like Copenhagen to Oslo - Oslo to Stockhom - Stockholm to Helsinki by overnight ferry - one of the most gorgeous trips and with the long nights you can see the lovely rocky achepelago - then fly home out of Helsink? You can do this all easily by train and boat and see the Scandinavian countryside in between - but maybe airfares are bettet from Stockhom?

anyway to me the absolute highlight of Scandinavia is not its neat cities - Copenhagen and Stockholm especially - but the Oslo to Bergen Railway - ubiquitously listed as one of Europe's most scenic railway - and then spend a day or two in Bergen, a really neat old-looking city with ancient wooden edifices and do the fantastic Norway in a Nutshell extravaganza - including a boat ride on Norway's largest and perhaps most beautiful fjord

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/gettin...n-a-nutshell-/

You can take an overnight train too I believe between Bergen and Oslo - having seen the scenery going out and between Oslo and Stockholm too I think.

anyway take a strong look at a ScanRail Pass good on all trains and key ferries - either 100% or 50% off Stockholm to Helsinki - for lots of good info on Scandinavian trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. And the Scandianavian Pass is also good in Finland even though that is not a Scandinavian country!
May 9th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi PalenQ,

Great suggestions! I already have my ticket out of Stockholm, so I have to put that at the end of my trip. Is it possible to take the ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm?

Reconsidering, I might save the entire Nordic portion for a different trip. I know I am missing out on a lot of lovely train rides and fjords, so I'm feeling like 2 days is not nearly enough for Norway. Plus, this means I can come back during the winter for the northern lights!

Thanks again for the train/ferry links. I'll be sure to use them!

Vicki
May 9th, 2015, 11:09 AM

There are two ferry companies that operate from Helsinki to Stockholm, Viking Line and Tallink Silja. Silja´s ferry is bigger and recently refurbished so I would go with that option.

I think that for a "taster-tour" your plan is ok. You could cut some time from Copenhagen and either add to Norway or do some day-trips in Denmark. I do like Copenhagen, but imo it is possible to see the main attractions in two days. Here´s my rough example itianary: day 1 - Stroget, Round Tower, Nyhavn, maybe canal tour, walk to Little Mermaid and Tivoli in the evening. Day 2: Rosenborgs castle, Botanical Gardens, Ny Carlsbergs Glyptotek, Christiania.
May 9th, 2015, 12:50 PM

If you do get a ScanRailpass - those two ferries may treat them differently so see what their charges if any are for folks with a Scan Pass.
May 9th, 2015, 01:24 PM

One piece of advice for Norway is when you plan your next trip (sounds like that is your plan) I'd spend a day or two in Bergen and book with "Norway in a Nutshell" tours to see the fjords. ALSO take lots of money!! Norway is very expensive especially for Americans.
May 10th, 2015, 08:26 AM

Norway in winter - for northern lights - well that may be all the light you will see in the darkness of winter with slivers of daylights - can't imagine the fjords being at all nice in the dark dank days of winter.
May 10th, 2015, 12:48 PM

And yes to answer another of your questions - you can take a ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm - bogth companies simply turn around their boats and what till evening then crisscross each other going both ways.

These boats have lots of entertainment and nice things on board - kind of like a cruise ship - I thoroughly enjoyed the several times I've done them and again the scenery, especially coming out of Stockholm is awesome!
May 11th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Very helpful Looking forward to that ferry ride, PalenQ