Castles in 10 days??

Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Castles in 10 days??

Hello Fodorites:
I am leaving with my 2 kids(3 and 6) in 6 weeks to Rome. Flying into FCO on day 1, flying to Venice as soon as we land FCO. I need to plan the rest of my trip from there. Day 7 evening, I need to be back in Rome for a conference for 4 days. Would like to spend more days in Rome as I will not be able to go sightseeing during the conference. Then planning on going to Naples for 2 days and back to FCO to fly back. Now, since my kids are young, we are not interested in the museums at all at this stage. Would be nice if we could make it a castle trip, just go around to see all the medieval castles in europe(may be a couple). Would like to include interlaken. May not be practical at all, but if you could suggest a good itinerary, it would be helpful. Is there anything for kids in Milan and Florence? Is there way to see the country side of Italy other than the major cities?
Thanks.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM

There's a high concentration of medieval Ccastles on the Rhine and Mosel rivers in Germany.

www.burg-eltz.de
www.marksburg.de
www.st-goar.de/17-1-.html
www.burg-cochem.de/

All of these are within a short train ride of Koblenz. Rheinfels in St. Goar is a ruined castle and kids can climb all around and explore on their own; the others offer tours. Reichsburg in Cochem offers a fabulouls falconry free-flight show; see photos here:

http://www.falknerei-reichsburg-coch...vorfuhrung.htm

Other kid things in the Cochem include a waterpark, chairlift ride, and a nearby wild animal park.

The river cruises can be fun too.

You can fly Ryanair from Venice to Frankfurt Hahn - take a shuttle from there to Koblenz (larger city) or Cochem (adorable village.) Flights for sample dates 9/17 and 9/19 for one adult and 2 kids are currently priced at 30 Euros (total price) one way.

You can't beat this destination or the price, IMO.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM

You have neglected to tell us how much time you have alogether. Are you planning on going to Germany after Rome? Are you going to/fro Germany from Venice?

What type of castles are you looking for (recent? ruins? reconstructed?) You seem to be doing an awful lot of bouncing around in a very short time for taveling with 2 small children.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM

I can't make any sense out of your post. You're going to Venice for 7 days, then back to Rome for a conference, then to Naples for 2 days, then home, is that it?

You want to see "all the medieval castles in Europe?" And Interlaken? And your kids aren't into museums at all, but they'll like castles? A lot of castles are essentially museums.

Russ's idea is good, except it doesn't account for the fact that you don't seem to be going to Germany.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Also, will you have a helping hand or hands or are you own your own with the two children?

For me, that would make a difference on what I tried to accomplish.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM

St. Cirq said,

"Russ's idea is good, except it doesn't account for the fact that you don't seem to be going to Germany."

Thanks . The post was tagged for Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy, so I assumed some willingness to travel.

The way I read it, the poster has maybe days 1-3 in Venice, a 3-day gap, and must be back in Rome on day 7.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM

A great place I loved as a kid is this: http://tinyurl.com/l96vse The food is fantastic, the countryside beautiful, the castle itself is lovely and besides, what kid doesn't want to see something HAUNTED?
Aug 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Russ, You got it right. Excellent. Thanks a ton. Germany was first my choice.

I'll be traveling with our nanny.We are also considering Palermo instead of Germany. How many days do we need here? Can we do Naples in 2 days?

Thanks everyone. This helps a lot. Thak you.
Aug 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM

There are castles everywhere you are going -- including a rather famous castle in Rome (Castel Sant'Angelo) and one in Milano (Castel Sforzesca), although the children would probably more enjoy climbing around the roof of the Duomo. And the seafront castle of Napoli is quite dramatic, but Napoli is really difficult with children, because the traffic is quite intense. If you want something interesting to do with children in the town, google up "underground tours Naples Italy". Palermo is equally difficult.

If you end up going to Palermo, you might check out making a trip to neighboring Cefalu to see its castle. Erice has a dramatic castle. Marsala has windmills. But were I taking children to Sicily, I'd probably take them to Stromboli to see it explode at night. They might also be interested in Etna (which puffs smoke) or Vesuvius -- although Pompeii can be frightening to imaginative children.

One of the most enjoyable castles in Italy is not far from Venice in Verona. It has a moat, drawbridge, turrets with teeth. Just wonderful

http://image52.webshots.com/52/2/25/...9xudBky_fs.jpg

If you are going to Interlaken, the neighboring town of Spiez has a lovely castle and boat trips around the lake

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/...291702b5df.jpg

But in general, I think you are unwise to try to amuse children that small with special itineraries. They are just as likely to be fascinated by the fish market in Palermo, or the pastry shops (or figurine shops) in Napoli. Or boat rides anywhere. Even bus rides. Don't drag them all over the place.
Aug 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Dacordo. What do you think about taking the train from Venice to Bolzano, then to Innsbruck and then to Zurich ?

Russ's plan is tempting because of the attractive airfare.
Train rides are expensive.
Aug 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Well, if I understand you, you have three days after Venice before you need to be in Rome. One of my favorite castles in Europe is the fortress at Hochosterwitz, just north of Klagenfurt, Austria. Venice-Klagenfurt is only 120 miles. Will you have a car? Train to Kalgenfurt is easy, but then I'd imagine you'd have to find a bus going to the castle, but there should be something. It is an imposing fortress, sticking up on a single hill all by itself. Another good one near there is Frauenstein. If you do have a car, another interesting one is Forchtenstein, which is south of Vienna in the Burgenland. (Burgenland meaning Land of fortresses-scattered around there to protect against the Ottomans) It has a great collection of old medieval armor and weaponry as well as the original of the famous painting of Vlad Tepes (Dracul). The size of the armor is fascinating. The people were tiny back then-your kids would probably have a hard time even fitting in it.