Copenhagen questions - first timer

May 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen questions - first timer

I am leaving for a Baltic cruise from Copenhagen and will staying in Copenhagen a few days before the cruise and a few days after. Before, the cruise I am staying at the Admiral and after at the Alexandra. My questions: I would like to rent a bike to tour the city. I do not want to use the little free bikes I have heard about, so is there a bike rental close to the Admiral before and Alexandra after ... where the best place to rent a bike.? What to expect for a price for a day? Or how best to rent? Also, I want the easiet way to get from the airport to the Hotel Admiral before and from Alexandra to airport after. I am in my mid-fifties and traveling alone so I want something simple - especially on the way to the Admiral after the long airplane ride - not too confusing. Best place to get kr when I get to town? I figure debit card will work most places, but want cash for small purchases.
I would appreciate any other suggestions, etc. - first time in the area. Thank you so much!
May 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM

When you land go to the nearest ATM in the airport and pull as much cash as you want. (No - many places will take credit cards, but not plain debit cards.) I would just grab a cab to the hotel.

Don;t know anything about renting a bike, but central Copenhagen is very small and easily walkable. WE walked everywhere and were never tired or felt the trip to be too long. Day trips outside the city should be done by public transit.
May 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM

The subway from the airport is pretty easy and cheap, but it would mean walking about a short distance on cobblestones. I agree with nyt about using an ATM at the airport to get your cash.

The public transit system in Copenhagen is very convenient and comprehensive. I think renting a bike might be more of a hassle. The free bikes looked kind of fun, but the weather wasn't convenient for biking when I was in Copenhagen. Good luck.
May 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

About how much would a taxi cost from the airport to Hotel Admiral? Is there a certain place at the airport to get a taxi or do you have to book ahead? Thanks. I live in a rural area - do you know where to order a "walking" map of Copenhagen?
May 26th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Any cruise of the harbor would you recommend or do you get a better "feel" justing walking around?
May 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Most of Copenhagen is not focused on the harbor. The cruise wold be mildly interesting but you wouldn't be near most of the major sights. There is Tivoli Gardens, severla Royal Palaces, 2 or 3 interstng museums as well as shopping areas etc to explore. The harbor is not one of the highlights.
May 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM

What are your interests? Do you like museums, historical sights, shopping?

I think I would spend one day on a train from Copenhagen to Hillerod to see the Frederiksborg Castle, then go up to Elsinore to see Kronborg Castle. If you start early in the morning, you could also take in Louisiana Museum for modern art.

Did you plan on spending time at Tivoli?

A good walking tour would be to start at the Town Hall and walk down Stroget. Eat lunch at Nyhavn, take a walk up the Round Tower, walk over to Rosenborg castle and see the treasures.

We took both a harbor cruise and the double decker bus (hop on/off). The bus will give you a pretty good introduction to most of the sights of Copenhagen. Try to schedule some time so you can see the changing of the gaurd in Amelienborg*.

I loved Copenhagen. The Danish people have to be the nicest people in the world. I think you will love it.

*I'm spelling by memory. Parden any mistakes.
May 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. It has been a hectic year. I would like to "soak in" the life. I enjoy walking, people watching, history. I enjoy music - any input on the Opera House? I am sure if I want to spend a lot of time to travel to castles. I was planning on taking in the Roseborg Castle and gardens. I thought the Museum of Danish Resitance would be worth some time and also Our Savior's Church. What about the Amalienborg Palace? I would like to walk or bike ride? throught the various neighborhoods. I appreciate all thoughts since I have never been! Thanks.
Jun 13th, 2009, 09:40 AM

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...0013058&dtab=7 Here you can rent nice solid bikes.

Search this Thread