Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I can't figure out the best area for convenience in Copenhagen

Apr 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

We (my husband and I, and our 14 yr. old grandson) will be in Copenhagen in late July for 3 nights. Looking at the maps isn't helping me. Whenever I think I've got the perfect hotel, I read that it's far from sights and cafes. We'd like to see the typical tourist attractions but mostly want to be in the thick of cafes, restaurants and shops for walking in the afternoon and evenings. But still be able to sleep at night without too much partying going on outside our window.

I don't want to book an expensive hotel (I realize they're pricey there) and then find out we're so far from where we want to be. Any suggestions from anyone familiar with the city would be really appreciated, as we've never been there and have no idea about where the ideal place to stay is.

Thanks!
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM

We stayed in a triple room in Hotel Nebo last year for 3 nights. It had a sink in the room but the bathrooms/showers were down the hall. (They were very clean and we never had to wait). The room was fairly spacious with two comfortable twin beds and one not quite so comfortable couch/bed thing. It is close to the train station and on the edge of the somewhat dodgy part of Copenhagen but it felt perfectly safe and we had no problem with noise at night. We chose it for the price. We arrived and departed by train and took a daytrip to Roskilde (viking museum highly recommended)so the proximity to the train station was convenient.

We had Copenhagen cards and had no problem using the buses to get around. I did consider staying at Hotel Bethel which is in the Nyhavn area but it was more expensive. If you can swing that place it would probably be a good choice. It really is a nice area of the city.

Another budget option is Hotel Absalon, also near the train station but not as close as Nebo. It was a smidge more expensive. I had stayed there previously and found it similar to Nebo in quality.

So I guess my input is - if you can afford to stay around the Nyhavn area, do it, otherwise the hotels I mentioned are acceptable "budget" alternatives.

You will love Copenhagen. Enjoy your trip!
May 2nd, 2009, 04:03 AM

The Admiral is in a good location, although some of the rooms are quirky, it is a converted warehouse. It is in walking distance of some major sites.

The Marriott is convenient for walking to the Tivoli Gardens and Glypotek, we walk all over Copenhagen from there but might not be suitable distance for all.
May 2nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Since I first wrote this I booked at the Marriott because some hotels were already filling up (cruise embarking) so I got nervous.
May 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

olijoc - if you've booked at the Marriott already (and there are no cancellation fees), I highly recommend you try Priceline. The Marriott is a highly common winning bid, at around $100-$120US. I understand this is 50%-75% less than their regular reservations.
You could end up with another hotel but it would be just as nice - just be sure to only bid for 4* hotels.

If you're new to Priceline, you will probably also want to check out www.biddingfortravel.com It is a fabulous resource for learning how to use Priceline; lots of Priceline regulars use it too.

Once you've read up on the tricks to getting the best price, knowing which hotels are likely, etc., etc., try your luck at www.priceline.com I'll bet you'll save some serious money (You could even decide to bid for two rooms, at the same price as your single room reservation - if you think the 14year old would do fine in his own room, or if he and his grandfather want some bonding time....)
Priceline.com
biddingfortravel.com
May 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM

I second Jaysfan's suggestion. We are cruising from Copenhagen this summer and staying one night before cruise and two nights after cruise for $100 each night at the Marriott (about $130 with taxes and fees) - via Priceline. On the Cruise Critic Roll Calls, cruisers seem to be paying between $90 and $160 for a 4 star bid, depending on date. So far, everyone seems to have gotten the Marriott.
May 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM

Copenhagen is a very compact city with great public transportation. I lived there for 6 months and either walked or took buses/trains everywhere. If you find a hotel that you like an that is in your price range, don't worry so much abut location. Find out if it is near a train station or bus stop and you should have few problems.
May 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM

The Marriott is a good, safe choice. Very nice rooms, that are larger than most in the city, with good bathrooms. Decent service (this is Denmark, service isn't exactly a strong suit).

However, for the most part, I think you will be surprised at just how small Copenhagen is. Most any hotel that is within the following boundaries would be deemed central:

1) To the North & West, the "lakes" (really just shallow pools) that run along Oster Sogade.
2) To the East, the harbor.
3) To the South, the canal.
4) To the West, the train station.

You can fudge a bit for a couple of blocks to the west of the train station, where you will find some cheaper hotels, but if you get too far out there, then I would say you are no longer central.

Personally, I find the most pleasant part of the central area to be the area around Kongens Nytorv and Nyhavn. It is more upmarket than the Tivoli/Radhuspladsen end, but both are good options. I recognize that this puts the Marriott at my "less preferred" end of town, but I think the quality of the hotel (the rooms in particular) makes up for the lesser location.

On the plus side for the Tivoli/Radhuspladsen end is that you are closer to Vesterbro, which has the largest concentration of ethnic (read: affordable-ish) dining options. The Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn end skews toward either places that are often not worth the money, or more expensive (but very good) restaurants.
May 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM

just booked 2 nights at Marriott in August for $121 per night on Priceline.
May 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM

I lived in Copenhagen for 20 years of summer trips. I used to rent a place for the entire summer. Copenhagen is very compact and has excellent public transportation.

The inner part of the city is very walkable. It's even easy to walk the outer parts. I regularly walked from a friend's apartment in Frederiksberg( side street to Gammel Kongevej) to Radhusplads and as far as Nyhavn, Look at the map. He's walked that distance for over 40 years and he's in his mid 60s. I'm in my early 50s. So, don't worry so much about what the distances might appear to be on a map.

As for hotels, I haven't ever stayed in one when I'm there, but might zip over there in late August and am now looking at hotels, so that I have more privacy.

My personal two choices, as far as location, would be The Square Hotel and First Hotel Skt Petri which is built in the old Daells Varhus Department Store building and on the same street of the school I went to, for several summers, to learn Danish. So, I know the area well. As for price, I just looked up The Square Hotel for the dates I need in August and it's only around $140 whereas the Fisrt Hotel Skt Petri is around $240. I looked on expedia.com.

By the way, does anyone know if Copenhagen restaurants have finally gone smoke free? I was last there in 2004 and my favorite restaurant, Riz Raz, was still full of smoke. I had to pack up my food to go. If they are smoke free, then I will probably choose a hotel over trying to find an apartment to rent for a week where I'll be able to cook my own food and eat at the apartment. Happy Travels!

The advantage of The Square is that it's an easy walk to the main train station where I can take the train back to the airport, so a taxi isn't needed. Taxis aren't cheap in Copenhagen.
May 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Yes, Guenmai, restaurant's are smoke free.

One of our favorits, Frida's, on Gammel Kongevej has been a delight to revisit after smoking was no longer allowed. It does still have the "air" of a room which has allowed smoking, but much better.
May 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Thanks,Gynna-I e-mailed Riz Raz yesterday and there was a reply just early this morning informing me that Copenhagen restaurants have gone smoke free...finally. Now, I won't need to rent an apartment and cook in if I zip over there this summer. I'm so used to us being smoke free, here in L.A. for so long...since the 80s, that I forget that there are places where there's still smoking in restaurants. I'll have to look into the restaurant that you mentioned on Gammel Kongevej as one of my best friends lives on Edisonsvej, a side street, and I visit him a lot. Happy Travels!
May 11th, 2009, 02:24 PM
hsv

Guenmai,

I can highly recommend The Square for a 3* experience, albeit a good 3* experience. It's got a nice and clean design about it, its location on Radhuspladsen guarantees easy access to Stroeget and the rest of the city, it's clean and overall gives you a feeling of a better hotel class than you actually chose. As a downside, there isn't a restaurant on-site (although good, but not overly sumptious breakfast limited to a choice of cold cuts, cheeses, jam and boiled eggs is served in a roof-top room with commanding views of the city) and its beds are definitely on the soft side.
Overall my preferred choice in town for value.
May 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM

I add my vote to the Square hotel. It's very nice and also very easy to access most of the city. As usual, Guenmai got it all right.
Jun 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM

http://www.booking.com/hotel/dk/ibse...hotel_currency
I think you would like this hotel. It is not so expensive as most of the others mentioned, and you can walk all over the city, and the street Nansensgade is nice. I think a 14 year old will appreciate it.