Copenhagen Day Trips

Mar 5th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen Day Trips

Hello all. I am traveling with my 7 year old son this summer to Copenhagen. Are day trips to the castles and Viking Museum easy to do on the train? I was planning on using Copenhagen as a base. Please advise on anything I would need to know. I saw that you can hop on and off trains without reserving seats, but had a bad experience in Germany with that. Much appreciation!
Mar 5th, 2018, 11:36 AM

Putg angst to rest about hopping on trains sans seat reservations because on S-tog commuter trains throughout Copenhagen region have no reserved seats I believe.

And yes they are a snap to use to reach any of those places and many more.

Train to Roskile then short walk to Viking Museum. Train to Frederiksborg and take boat across lake to castle. Same day easy to take train to Helsingor and short walk to Hamlet's Castle (Kronborg Castle).

And in suburban Copenhagen easy to take train to Bakken - world's oldest amuseument part and similar to Tivoli in rides and shows and no entry fee. Also by a vast deer park and popular beach - not sure when you are going though but if in summer bring a swimming suit.

For lots on trains check https://www.dsb.dk/en/ - www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Mar 5th, 2018, 02:54 PM
ira

Hi OO,

I think that you will both enjoy Frederiksborg Castle and the Viking Museum in Roskilde.

Have a nice trip.

Mar 6th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Just booked it all!

I just booked the Copenhagen city card. Now that I am looking at train sites....does the card cover the trains, as well?

Last edited by OliveO; Mar 6th, 2018 at 06:49 AM.
Mar 6th, 2018, 10:16 AM

https://copenhagencard.com/free-public-transportation

Yes seems all transports in wide area around Copenhagen is indeed covered - everyplace you want to go - see map.
Mar 6th, 2018, 12:42 PM

One of my favorite day trips from Copenhagen is the Round the Sound excursion where you take a train over the thrilling brigde/tunnel across the seat to Malmo - and then to Lund, one of the nicest cities in Scandinavia I've seen - a university town with spacious campus-like setting - then train to Helsingorborg for ferries to Helsingor and Hamlet's Castle and back to Copenhagen. See a bit of Sweden redolent of northern Minnesota and Wisconsin with same looking large red wooden barns, etc.
Mar 7th, 2018, 10:28 AM

“Helsingorborg” - it’s Helsingborg.
Mar 7th, 2018, 10:30 AM

Funny was a combo of 2 names - bad mistake on my part! Thanks.