Copenhagen, first week in May

Apr 16th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Copenhagen, first week in May

We (a couple approaching antiquity) are spending the first week in May in Copenhagen. I haven't been there since 1970 when I was 18 and my husband has never been. Our interests are art, history, gardens, that kind of thing.

Would love your favorites for things to see and places to eat. If there is a day trip easily accessed by train or ferry, that might be interesting, too. Also any words of wisdom on any subject.

We'll be staying on the Wildersgade in Christianhavn. Will try to walk or public transport wherever we can. We prefer ordinary kinds of restaurants, Danish food, not too expensive unless you think it's REALLY worth it.

Thanks in advance for your welcome responses!
Apr 16th, 2018, 03:14 PM

Great location in one of loveliest parts of Copenhagen!

Christiana was my favorite place in Copenhagen but that was about a decade ago last I visited but still a very unique place:

One of the last and maybe the last old communes left in Europe from the 70s when 'some hippies' took over an unusued military base and built the Free City of Christiana where just about everything went on - especially famous for Pusher Street where for ages soft drugs like hash were openly sold as city officials kept out- not sure what current status of that is but Christiana is one amazing weird place very close to where you are staying - has some really acclaimed restaurants I believe:

https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/cope...ve-christiania

https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...w=1503&bih=758

There are several great day trips by suburban train to places like Roskilde for Viking Ship Museum and lively regional town; Frederiksborg for famous castle of same name in a lake; Helsingor for Hamlet's Castle and more. For info on trains and where to go check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

One favorite day trip of mine was Round the Sound - first take train over awesome bridge/tunnel over and under the (whatever the body of water separating Denmark from Sweden is called) to Malmo and then a train to Lund - a really neat university town with a campus like feeling and neat architected edifices - then train to Helsingorborg for constant ferries to Helsingor and Hamlet's Castle and nice town and trains back to Copenhagen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...w=1503&bih=758
Apr 16th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions! I had forgotten about the Free City of Christiana--I have seen pieces about it on tv in the past. Reminds me a bit of Uzupis in Vilnius which declared itself a Republic and is the most marvelous nieghborhood to stay in.
Apr 16th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
- then train to Helsingorborg for constant ferries to Helsingor.
Please, it is Helsingborg to Helsingor.
Apr 16th, 2018, 04:15 PM
kja

I was glad to spend a day in Roskilde, which is easily reached by public transportation.
Apr 17th, 2018, 12:48 AM

Christianshavn and Christiana are not the same place, although they are close. Christiana is worth about 10 minutes of your time IMO and only if you happen to be in the area.

Traditional Danish food in restaurants can be difficult to find, so here are some recommendations:-

If you go to Bakken in Klampenborg (lovely part of Copenhagen),

https://peterlieps.dk/ which is just outside Bakken in the Deer Park or
Restaurant Bøgely

In Copenhagen
Café Sorgenfri
Restaurant Radio a bit more of a splurge place but worth it IMO to try some different things

For cheap eats, my old favourite on the top floor of Magasin department store.

If you do happen to be in Helsingor, perhaps to see Kronborg Castle, and you want lunch, a very nice lunch can be had aboard the ferry from Helsingor to Helsingborg. Crossing takes 15 mins but you stay onboard and go back & forth on the ferry, your table is usually reserved for 2 hours. The lunch buffet is rather good and a great chance to try lots of Danish & Swedish dishes eg roast pork, Jansson's Temptation etc. If you want to get off at Helsingborg, remember to take your passport. Reservations are needed, lunch is only on the Aurora ferry. It is very popular with Swedes and Danes esp at weekends. Not much info in English though.
https://www.scandlines.se/ombord/res...g-aurora/lunch

And if you do go to Helsingborg, I can recommend restaurant Sillen & Makrillen (fish restaurant) esp if the weather is sunny, beautiful position on the white sand beach with views to Denmark, cooking is upscale, one of the best restaurants I've been to in Sweden. It's a taxi ride away from the ferry port.

Sillen & Makrillen - Restaurang - Helsingborg

Beginning & mid- May has a couple of public holidays, so you might want to check opening times of places/restaurants you want to go to.

A day trip from Copenhagen northwards to Gilleleje and Hornbæk is recommended, two lovely seaside towns.
Apr 17th, 2018, 02:55 AM

I've just recently been to Copenhagen and I didn't really plan ahead. The city is not that big, but be strolling around you can really explore a lot! Depending on the weather you got a couple of choices. Walking around and doing day trips are great from Copenhagen on. Also the museums are quite nice. There is one with a Vikings boat but I did forget the name.
You'll definitely enjoy your stay there!
Apr 17th, 2018, 08:43 AM

The first part of my trip report on Denmark covers Copenhagen and side trips. You can find the report by clicking on my name and then on "Find trip reports".
Apr 17th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Please, it is Helsingborg to Helsingor..

Not first time you've corrected me and I'll try to remember. Thanks.
Apr 18th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

I do apologize--I meant Christianshavn! This is great help. You are specific and I really appreciate that. Magasin is a GREAT suggestion. Your response is now in the official travel file!
Apr 18th, 2018, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael. Headed to your trip report now!
Apr 18th, 2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
Please, it is Helsingborg to Helsingor..

Not first time you've corrected me and I'll try to remember. Thanks.
It's not a problem, it's easy to get mixed up - I do the trip about 10x a year so don't get them confused anymore.

Search this Thread