Convertors/Electricity

Dec 5th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Convertors/Electricity

I'm going to London from the US and bringing my digital camera. I need to use a battery recharger, and I know that there's a voltage difference. However, on my battery charger, it says that it ranges from 100V-240V. Does this mean I don't need to use a convertor (since the voltage in England is 240?) or should I use one anyway? Thanks if you can help.
Dec 5th, 2003, 11:44 AM

You don't need a converter. All you need is the plug adaptor to plug it into the wall socket. England has a 3-prong plug that looks similar to that of an electric dryer plug, only a bit smaller.

I also have a travel iron that is 110/240 and it works just fine without a converter -- you just need the plug adaptor depending upon which countries you will be visiting. England is different from the mainland of Europe
Dec 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM
ira

Hi
Budman is correct.
Dec 5th, 2003, 12:13 PM

I would check with the manufacturer of your camera. I have Minolta digital camera and the charger has written on it a 100V-240V range. But... Minolta says the attachment cord sold in the US is not rated for 240v. So I used a convertor on a recent trip.
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:04 PM

I think Esky offered the smartest advice. Unless you can afford to trash your digital camera when it doesn't work anymore, be wary of electrical advice from a travel forum. Digital cameras are NOT travel irons.

Call the manufacturer and speak to someone from the tech department, not from customer service. You can also call B&H (800-606-6969) and get connected to the digital camera department and share your info with them. Go to the smartest people when it comes to protecting your investment.
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:07 PM

I recently took a separate battery charger and plugged it into the outlet on the hair dryer in the bathroom with a converter. It worked beautifully.

My charger required a converter; however, my laptop could be plugged directly into the wall socket. The only problem I had was that my surge protector wouldn't connect with the French grounding prong. I had power but no surge protection. We've looked around since we got back and have decided to simply purchase a surge protector in France. That should fit with no problem!

If it makes you feel better, use the converter although it's probably not necessary. Recently a fellow we know blew the circuit breaker at his London hotel simply by turning on his laptop. That must have been fun! BTW, his computer was fine.
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:51 PM

The original question was basically about the battery recharger, not plugging in any attachment cords or plugging in any digital cameras, laptops, or the like.

My digital camera takes two AA batteries. My charger is 110/240. I place the batteries into the charger, put the plug adaptor onto the charger, and plug the charger into the wall. If twochordme's charger is similar, the same applies.

If your talking about plugging in digital cameras, laptops, separate attachment cords, or any other electronic device, then one would probably want to take foodsnob's advise. I don't travel with those types of things.
Dec 5th, 2003, 06:48 PM

http://www.voltageconverters.com/

click on voltage guide (top of web page) - will tell you what type of adaptor you need for which country

the adaptor I purchased for Croatia and Turkey allowed me to recharg my video cam batteries without any problems
Dec 6th, 2003, 05:41 AM
ira

>I have Minolta digital camera and the charger has written on it a 100V-240V range. But... Minolta says the attachment cord sold in the US is not rated for 240v. <

This is a bit odd. Is the "attachment cord" the line that plugs into the wall? If so it should be rated for 240V). Is there an Underwriter's Laboratories (UL) label on your charger? If not, have it replaced.
Dec 6th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I don't know what kind of batteries you have in your camera, but in my Olympus 3020 Zoom it takes four AA batteries.

Last year when I went to France I purchased 4 Energizer e2 Lithium batteries. These batteries are designed for use in digital cameras and give considerably more life than the so called long life batteries. On my trip last year I shot 500-600 photos and the batteries were still going strong for a couple of months after I returned. Please note that I use the viewfinder to compose most of my pictures and only when I feel it is necessary do I use the Monitor on the back of the camera to compose my shots. The Monitor is the biggest draw on the batteries.

At one time I recharged my batteries, but now I use the Lithium batteries all the time. In normal use, and I use my camera a lot, I will get 6 or more months out of a set of batteries.

You might consider this option for your trip to London to save you the hastle of recharging the batteries. The set of 4 Lithium batteries cost me about $10.

Enjoy your trip.
Dec 6th, 2003, 10:36 AM
JonJon

If the attachment cord was sold WITH the battery charger then there shouldn't be any problem using the charger with a 220V system.

I'm sure everyone is trying to be helpful but recounting "war stories" about similar, but NOT THE SAME, circumstances, is a fine way to while away the hours but simply confuses the situation.

Dec 6th, 2003, 11:54 AM
ira

Hi JonJon,

It is true that the "attachment cord" *should* work, but two says that Minolta said it's not rated for 240V.