Oct 10th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5

Hi, We are traveling to London and Paris for the first time and are taking our iPhone and MAC laptop. What converters/adapters do we need? Thanks!
Ceilidh is offline  
Oct 10th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,525
For any electronics, it is a good idea to check the product/manual to see if it is 110/220. If it is, you are half-way there. These days they are usually aut-switch, but chekc to see if there is a switch to go betweeen the two voltages. No matter what, you will need an adapter, since the wall plugs over there are not the same as in N.A.

I've bought a travel kit at Walmart, it can also include a converter. Having a converter is not a bad idea, just realize that it is a low current item, if you plug a hair dryer into it, it is going to heat up.

I usually bring my whole kit when I go, to cover all possibilities
Michel_Paris is offline  
Oct 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
See for adapters. Since most new chargers are dual voltage, it is unlikely you'll need a voltage converter. Just make sure your chargers will handle voltages up to 240v.
freetoroam is offline  
Oct 10th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 466
Radio Shack also sells plug adaptors, as does stores in the airport.
jkbritt is offline  
Oct 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 32,517
It's unlikely you need a converter (look on your Iphone charger/computer charger for the rating - 110/120 only or 110/120 - 240), but if you do buy one of the newer ones that has high/low (rated 0-2000w) and auto switches. Most travel converters aren't for electronics or anything with a chip in it.
kybourbon is online now  
Oct 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,881
The above advice only applies to low wattage devices. For anything like hairdryers or straighteners it's best to buy once in Europe
alanRow is offline  
Oct 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,911
What converters/adapters do we need?
See for an introduction to European electricity and the hardware you may or may not need.
spaarne is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:14 AM.