Search

Contiki Europe - First Time Single Solo Traveller

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contiki Europe - First Time Single Solo Traveller

Hey guys,

So excited that I have found flights to London and booked my 15 day tour to Europe @ the end of the month. Just a bit nervous cause Ill be travelling with Little Miss Me!! Im such a down to earth, approachable person just little concerned with the whole overseas experience by myself bla bla bla.
Any suggestions from a previous solo traveller that is mid 20s? Tell me all the gossip. Ventured out and bought a Lonely Planet travel book on Europe, hoping that would give me advice too. Cheers & happy travelling.

Im all ears
Essie
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 04:00 AM

Well, if you are going with Contiki, welcome to the PARTY BUS!!!! You are in for a non-televised edition of MTV'S The Real World. Expect hook-ups, drunken orgies, lots of vomit, smelly feet, half-naked bimbos and himbos hanging out of windows, bungee jumping from hotel balconies. You get the picture. Spring Break on a bus.

Cheers
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A Contiki tour is not what i would call "solo traveller". The tour will take you where you go and tell you when, and what to do once you get there. That's the whole idea.

If you read the Lonely Planet guidebook you bought, that will tell you the rest.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM

Yeah, you're definitely not going to be all by yourself, you'll be with a tour group with other people your age the entire time! Don't worry, have fun.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM

My very first Europe trip was with Contiki. Although it was ok for my first trip, I certainly was not alone. I had to ditch the party bus just to get some time by myself.

But you will get a lot of free time (when you aren't being whisked from country to country). Definitely do some reading of the places and things you want to see in each city you visit.

Now, I never do tours, and I have traveled solo in many parts of South east Asia. Contiki and traveling solo are two very different things.

You'll have a good time though, and remember you don't have to follow the group if you don't want to. You'll have to from country to country (obviously) but within the cities you'll get a time to meet the bus and have a lot of the day free to do as you please.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM

When I was on a tour (my first trip to Europe with family members), there were three single people as I recall. Two young women in their probably mid 20's. I think they were actually rooming together. The other was a single guy and he was extremely independent. I actually think he did the tour because of the price. He was always off on his own, we had most afternoons free anyway. So, do what makes you comfortable. If this is your first time to Europe it's not a bad way to go. I haven't taken a tour since but it was a good way to get my feet wet. And, I'm not saying I would never take a tour again. I had a lot of fun on the tour and saw a lot of great sights. Have a great trip and let us know how it went.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM

You're not going by yourself - you're going with a TOUR. A whole group of peope doing things together - along with a guide to get you places, organize meals and answer all your questions.

Going alone - means alone - no one else there. No tour memebers and no guide.

How can you be nervous traveling in the middle of a pack with your hand held at every step?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:20 PM

Most of the people on the board are independent travelers, and after one tour to europe, I too have become an independent traveler. However, some people have never been out of the country, and some people are NOT as adventurous as others, etc., and I don't really think it's fair to make them feel like a whimp or something similar because they are going on a tour and having their "hand held" etc. I think it's great when anyone has a desire to go to a new place and learn new things, see new things, and how they choose to do it doesn't really matter. Anyway estar, you won't be alone, you will have assistance, and out of the group I'm sure you will find several people that you will be drawn to, and will end up with some "buddies". That seemed to be the way it worked on my tour. I didn't really get "close" with anyone, but there were several groups that seemed to form after a new days. You'll have a great time, I'm certain.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM

essie sounds like a moron.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK which is more moron-ish? Posting a slightly silly question - OR - topping a 8 month old thread to call someone a moron??

hmmmmm
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
richard's WAY late to this party!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM

Hi!

Sounds like you have it all set. But anyway you can call affordabletours (affordabletours.com) as for a seasoned person or supervisor and get the low down on Contiki. I have been told they are for your age bracket and major partying. Can't hurt to call....
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
amsdon: estar took her trip <b>last August</b>