Context tours for Pompeii?

Feb 15th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Context tours for Pompeii?

I've posted this on another forum but didn't get a response. Hoping someone here has some advice: Has anyone use Context Tours for a Pompeii tour? They have a 20% off deal right now and are considered to be a very good company but it's still dear$$. Trying to decide if it is worth it. Unsure what a private great guide should cost for ...let's say...half day tour in English.
Feb 15th, 2018, 10:10 AM

You'll get more comprehensive information if you include the "context" of your tour...where will you be coming from on that day and how does Pompeii fit into your whole trip?

Though I haven't had a tour of Pompeii, I strongly suspect, if you get yourself to the ticket office, you'll find guides available at the entrance. That may give you more value for your money.
Feb 15th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

We're 4 adults and going in September. The day we visit Pompeii that will be our singular event. We'd like an in-depth visit with historical context. Not interested in following around a group with the headlines.
Feb 15th, 2018, 10:25 AM

Where will you be the morning of your visit, and that night? Will you, for instance, be coming from Rome so want transport included with your tour? Or will you be in the vicinity of Pompeii.

I wasn't suggesting that you join the rabble.. Many freelance guides wait for business at the entrances of sites and they can be good guides, licensed, speak English and will give you a private tour for just the 4 of you. If that's too uncertain for your taste, read reviews, see if you get feedback here, book in advance. It will cost more, as you've noted, especially if you can't get there under your own steam, though sharing the cost for transport, rather than 4 RT train tickets, will mitigate the expense somewhat. And, if you're coming a long distance, be worth the time saved. One must balance the factors. More information from you, more information from us.
Feb 15th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Transportation wise, what does your tour include?
The guides at the entrance are all certified. You can certainly find one that speaks English. That is generally my preference.
Feb 15th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

We'll get ourselves there on the train from Sorrento so transportation is not an issue. Can someone give me an idea of the cost of hiring one of the guides at the entrance or even a recommended guide and a sense of costs?
Feb 16th, 2018, 05:40 AM
RJD

My experience with Context over many years has been excellent. Great guides and well designed tours. No need to take chances.
Feb 16th, 2018, 09:04 AM

If you sign up for a Context Tour in the next 5 hours you can get 20% off with this code:
FLASHSALE2018
I haven't actually done a tour with them, but a tour I wanted to do last year didn't work out because I would have been the only participant, so it didn't go.