Search

Pompeii Tours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pompeii Tours

I am going to see Pompeii this summer and was planning on taking a train to Naples and then on to Pompeii. Are there any tour companies at the site or in Naples that you can recommend?
How many hours should I be prepared to spend at Pompeii? Are there any headsets available for rent instead of going with a tour company?
Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There are handsets (not headsets) for rent at Pompeii. Each site is numbered and you select the corresponding number on the handset and play. Pompeii is large and spread out so you should allow 3 - 3 1/2 hours travel time from Rome to Pompeii and allow at least 4+ hours in Pompeii. There will be guided tours forming at the entrance and you will be asked to join one. If you decide on a guided tour try to pick a guide with clear English. Some guides are hard to understand.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Hi Ronald

One of your other threads (you've been busy today! ) has a response (from me) which mentions a long Helpful Information on Italy superthread, which is a great resource for planning a trip

here's your other thread which includes the Helpful Information link

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34550816
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:18 PM

We thought the audioguides were excellent. They also come with a very good map of Pompeii. The young woman renting the audioguides was very helpful in pointing out to us which sites were closed, which ones were in the "don't miss" category, which to see if we had more time, etc.

We spent 6 hours there, but we came from Sorrento, so the travel time was pretty short.

Another suggestion: print out this guide to Pompeii from the London Times and take it with you:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...080163,00.html

Also, if you have a chance, read (or listen to the audiobook) "Pompeii" by Robert Harris before you go. It will really set the scene for you.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:49 AM

We toured Pompeii a few years ago with one of the english speaking guides at the site. I don't recall what we paid but we had a private guide and he was wonderful. He told us about a dog that follows only the Japanese tourists. We didn't believe him until we saw the dog in action. Our daughters wanted to do the tour over again just to follow the dog.