Reload this Page >

Connecting to Florence through Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Judy

Hello everyone,<BR>Will be making my first trip to Europe in late November. We have to make a connecting flight out of Munich to Florence. Arriving Munich 8:00 am, leaving out at 9:05 am for Florence. Also changing planes (UA to LH). I'm a little worried about making that connection with so little time to spare. Anyone have any comments or words of wisdom? Thanks!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Amy

Judy, I posted a week or so ago about making connections to Florence through either Paris, Munich or Frankfurt. I got much helpful advice, but most of it was that an hour isn't enough. I ended up booking through Paris with 2 1/2 hours to transfer.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:02 AM
monique

I haven't been to either airports, but I'd guess that they're small and relatively easy to get around. As long as your flight coming in is not late, you can probably make it. However, most airlines require 1.5 hours in between. Are both flights on the same airline? If so, find out what time the next flight leaves in case you don't make it. They can probably put you on that one if you miss the other one.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:04 AM
monique

Another thing: I don't think any of my flights out to Europe have ever left exactly on time. BUT, it's really easy for them to make up the time over the thousands of miles! I'd bet that you will land on time in Munich. But if you feel more comfortable being safe than sorry, you should try something else.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM
x

as long as it's the same airline, it shouldn't matter if the flight to Munich is late - it's their problem to get you on your connector. My flight from Munich left 1.5 hours late going to Frankfurt. I was about to miss my connecting flight to Toronto, along w/ about 20 other people, but Air Canada / Lufthansa had a bus waiting to get us to the terminal faster and we made the flight.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Dick Yeager

Judy,<BR><BR>Best to check with United. When you fly into Munich, you will have to collect your bagage, go through Passport Control and Customs. All of this because it is your first stop in a EU country. I have not been to the Munich Airport, but in Frankfurt in May, this took about 20 minutes or so. Pretty fast.<BR><BR>You will then have to go the the Lufthansa Ticket Counter to recheck your luggage and go through Security. The webpage of the Munich Airport is not nearly as informative as the Frankfurt Airport. I have no idea as to where you land and then depart. Could be a walk.<BR><BR>I wouldn't trust a hour and 5 minute connection time.<BR><BR>Now is the time to call United and make any changes necessary.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Lesli

Depends on if this is a United/Lufthansa codeshare thing (they are part of the same "alliance".) If so, it shouldn't be a problem - I have done this exact connection before. However, that was pre-9/11, so I would call United to double-check.<BR><BR>If these are two separately booked tickets, I'd definitely recommend more time.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Topper

Topping.<BR><BR>Judy - WHY do you continue to create new posts with the exact same question????

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:05 AM
carmen

You can walk MILES in the Munich airport. A lot will depend on how close your arrival gate/customs/departure gate are to one another.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Judy

Thank you all for your informative posts. This has been most helpful!