Connecting flight Barcelona to Seville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the middle of booking flights to/from Andalusia area and have some questions.

I arrive in Barcelona from Newark on Continental 9:15 AM. Then I would like to catch a 12:30 flight to Seville with Air Europa. We don't check bags.

Is this enough time? If we find that we have to check our bags - do we have to collect our luggage and then proceed to the Air Europa gate? I have always booked all flights with one airline, this is the first time doing this.

thanks so much
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM

If you don't book you flight with one airline, you'll have to clear customs and passport control, then go to the next airlines check-in counter to pick up your boarding pass and go back through security. That could take a while. You will not be able to check-in for the flight to Andalucia online.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Barcelona is not a huge airport but there are 3 terminals..

B-S is a domestic flight so even with passport and security control, you should be o.k.
But, if you have to collect luggage after Continental flight - a different story..
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your replies

There is a flight at 1:45 that is available. Maybe I should book that. I am travelling with my husband who is not a happy traveller and am trying to make this as painless as possible for him

I don't think we will have a problem with luggage since we travel very lite - but I will call the airline to make sure I can carry on.

thank again
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Robert -

should I call Continental and try to book through them? I don't think they fly Bar - Seville but will they book for me with another airline?

sorry if I sound like a dolt but thanks for your help
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Continental may be able to book the Air Europa leg of the trip for you but I think it would have to be done at the same time you by your ticket to Barcelona. Also, it depends on when you are traveling. Contintal is part of skyteam now but is moving the the star alliance in October. Air europa is a skyteam member.

It's always best if you can have all you flights booked on one ticket. Otherwise, if you miss your flight to Sevilla because the flight into BCN is delayed/cancelled/etc... Air Europe isn't obligated to get you to Sevilla. You're basically out of luck. If it's all booked on one itinerary then air europa would be obligated to get you on the next available flight to Sevilla if you missed your flight.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM

I don't know your travel dates, but from what I see now on Air Europa's website, their flights Barcelona-Sevilla are operated by Spanair. Spanair is already a Star Alliance member.
CathyM said Continental will join Start Alliance in October. Which may make it easier for Continental to book your two flights on one ticket IF you plan to travel after that date. Just a guess, though.
But if you are on one of those Spanair-operated flights, you will have to change from old Terminal 2 to new Terminal 1. Should cost some extra time.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM

I am travelling with my husband who is not a happy traveller and am trying to make this as painless as possible for him "

I know how you feel..( done the same for 20 years)!

"It's always best if you can have all you flights booked on one ticket. Otherwise, if you miss your flight to Sevilla because the flight into BCN is delayed/cancelled/etc... Air Europe isn't obligated to get you to Sevilla. You're basically out of luck."'
true, but one cannot always book with the same airline.
Last year we flew to Madrid on AC and to Sandander on Iberia. We had to leave terminal 1 and change to terminal 4 ( 10-15 min. bus ride).. with under 4 hours between the flights, we had plenty of time. Again, we only had carry-on luggage .
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I think I will go with the later 1:45 PM flight to Seville and hope for the best. I booked the continental flight too fast (in and out Barcelona) without thinking much of the itinerary. I was trying to find a business class ticket using my miles and found one on Continental (although outbound only). We are also flying out of Newark instead of our usual JFK. Learned a lesson there - think about the itinerary a bit before booking.

I hate connecting flights (always had problems in past) but see no other way - this being the best solution. so deal with it sashie!

you guys are great - thanks