Connecting Flight

Search

Connecting Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting Flight

I am flying JetBlue to JFK and then switching to Czech Airlines to Prague and doing the same in reverse on the return. I have allowed about 3 hours connecting time because I realize Jet Blue is in a different terminal and you probably have to go through security again and more time would be needed if I check luggage. Now I am thinking even 3 hours may not be enough. Lately, I have felt more confident because there have much shorter security lines at the Orlando Airport the last few trips I have made. Anyone know if JFK has improved as well?
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM
yk

3 hours for domestic/international connection on separate tickets at JFK???

Please read this thread titled
<b>Financial disaster from booking two separate tickets</b>
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35120061

It happened at JFK. The passengers (a couple) ended up paying out $10,000 of pocket because their first flight was delayed.

On your return, you realize you have to go thru immigration at JFK, right? If your flight happens to arrive at the same time as 6-7 other jumbojets, the immigration line can take forever, even if you're a US citizen.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I think 3 hours is risky. I'd suggest either taking an earlier JetBlue flight, or overnighting in New York the night before your flight to Prague.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:25 PM

For the trip out of JFK I would check to see how often the Jet Blue flight is late. If it's usually on time you will probably make it - but it's defiintely a big$$$ risk.

On the way back 3 hours is nowhere near enough. Flights coming in from europe tend to back up, the lines at Immigration can be enormous - and I've had it take more than 2 hours from wheels down to getting out to the curb. That would make it very difficult to get checked into, through security and onto the outgoing flight.

I don;t now how much you're saving by doing it this way - but do realize you're risking having to buy new transatlantic tickets at day of prices - IF you can get a seat.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Playing devil's advocate and having arrived international in both JFK and EWR approximately 12 times over the past 5 years we have never spent more than 20 minutes in line for passport control . This time range goes from 6:30 am to late afternoon.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Sibelius: I think 3 hours is awfully risky considering the number of things that could go wrong.

Please tell us you're not checking any luggage. If you are, I think it's doubtful you've left enough time.

If you can't change it, at look at Czech Air's website and see if they allow online check-in. Most international flights don't. But it's worth looking.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Well, if it's too late to make changes, and you want to try to make the connections, then obviously don't check any bags. If the flight is on time, I think 3 hours is enough to make the international flight. The problem is with flight delays.

The return will be trickier given that you need to go through immigration, but I think that you can also mitigate that effect by using online checkin for the domestic flight. (Someone else has mentioned online checkin for the international flight, but that's probably more doubtful.) That way you can head straight to the gate after clearing immigration.

Then if you think about it and decide the risks are not worth it, and you can't easily make changes, then the insurance policy would be to buy a new domestic r/t ticket. That may be cheaper still than change fees or potential penalties that you'll be hit with if you miss the connections.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Personally, I wouldn't try it.
My husband and I just took a trip to Greece last month.
We flew Continental from Providence with a 3 and a half hour layover in Newark (flying Newark to Athens also on Continental)
Our flight was delayed over 2 hours leaving Providence.
when we finally got to Newark we had to run to the next gate and got there just as they were announcing hte final boarding call. We were the last two people to get on the plane! It was a stressful way to start off our vacation!
Next time I would allow even more time.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
yk

Here's my experience from earlier this year.

DH &amp; I were flying Dallas-SF-Hong Kong. First leg was AA and 2nd leg was Cathay Pacific. Flights were booked on a single ticket w/the Cathay flight as an AA codeshare.

We had 2 hours to connect in SF. Our flight out of Dallas was the first flight of the day. Early morning flights tend to be on time.

Anyway, our Dallas-SF flight was delayed for over an hour. The reason? Not because of weather, or the plane, or the crew. It was problems w/the tow truck (that towed the plane into the gate). The truck wasn't able to disengage the connector from the plane, and it took an hour to get it disconnected.

After we took off, I thought to myself, we still have 1 hour, we should be okay. When the plane got into the SF airport airspace, we were delayed by ATC (due to some runway issues) so we circled in the air for another 20 minutes.

Since AA/CX are partners, I told the FA on our flight to notify the ground crew and the CX flight that we're on our way.

When we landed, the FA made an announcement to ask pax to let connecting pax to deplane first.

When we got off the jetway, a CX representative was waiting for us at the gate to walk us to our CX flight.

If we had booked our flights on 2 separate tickets, we would have been SOL and out $$$$$ to get ourselves from SF-Hong Kong.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Simply put a 3 hour connection is fine if it'as on 1 ticket. As a matter of fact 1.5 hour is fine (whether you make it or not is not my point, but it's a legal connection).

If it's 2 separate tickets then no matter how long is the connection. You have to realize you're basically gambling. Most of the time you win, but you have to be ready to lose on occasion. What if your flight from Florida is delayed by a day because of a tropical storm/hurricane? The other airline won't care and will cancel your ticket, or if you contact them, they may help you out and charge you a change fee and fare difference (cheaper then a new ticket, but still quite expensive).

2 separate tickets is always a gamble. You are trying to save few $ but sometimes it ends up costing you $$$$. Doesn't matter if it's a 3 hour or 8 hour connection.

Old May 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Quark -

Not to try to trump your 12 arrivals - but I've landed at JFK from europe more than 70 times - granted over a good number of years. And I've found that the time from wheels down to get to the gate and the wait to get through immigration has gradually increased over the years. Never mind the potential baggage issues - esp if a bunch of planes land at once you can wait 30 minutes or more for your luggage.

I will admit that many time I've gotten through immigration in between 20 and 30 minutes. But - a good number of times there have been long lines.

And - it didn't matter that much to me - other than the aggravation - since I was just getting in a cab.

But the OP isn't in the position to take chances without significant financial risk. Only he can decide how risk averse he is. And what would happen if he had to come up with an extra $3000 or $4000 on the spot or cancel the trip.

I wouldn't risk it.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM

If you're already locked into your JetBlue flights, either (a) pay the change fee and get yourself more time -- or (b) get a travel insurance policy that will cover &quot;trip delay/interruption&quot; for the situation you describe, i.e., 3 hours between flights.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Jed

You might want to check 'Security Checkpoint Wait Times' for however accurate it is:

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/index.html
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Travel insurance many not cover this situation at all, or not adequately. Covered reasons and exclusions vary, and it is essential to study the Certificate that comes with your policy.

Trip delay coverage is often limited to $100, $150, per day, so would not cover the cost of a new ticket if you miss the overseas flight, but may cover a change fee. And, most plans allow only one delay per trip.

Trip interruption coverage also usually has a daily limit, and typically &quot;carrier caused delays&quot; are excluded from this coverage.

It is critical to understand the definition of &quot;Interruption&quot; and &quot;Delay&quot;, covered reasons, exclusions, limits, on the policy you purchase.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the excellent advice. This was all brought about because after securing a beautiful connection through Atlanta on Delta on Travelocity, I received an urgent email and cell phone call from their office in India informing me that Czech Airlines has no relationship with Delta and I wouldn't be able to check luggage all the way through and I was given the opportunity of getting a refund. So I took matters in my own hands since I really like Jet Blue anyway. I also paid extra for Premium Economy on Czech Airlines ( CSA) which allows changes penalty-free. EVEN SO, I plan on changing the JetBlue flights based on everyone's advice on this forum. Thank you. Incidentally, I have successfully used Travelocity over the years so this business of Delta and Czech Airlines not codesharing or whatever it is, didn't make sense, since every web travel site shows Delta connecting to CSA usually at JFK but also in Atlanta!
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
J62

Unfortunately it looks like you received bad advice from Travelocity.

Both Czech airlines and Delta are part of SkyTeam alliance, meaning you most certainly could check bags all the way through.

You'd even be able to check-in for your Czech airlines flight at your originating Delta counter.

Even airlines that don't share an alliance can cross check bags.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Somebody gave you bogus info.

Unless something changed in the last few days, Delta and Czech Airlines are Skyteam Alliance partners.

http://skyteam.com/skyteam
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes, and I respectfully and tactfully pointed that out to the gentleman on the phone whose english was not his first language, who politely suggested I take the discrepancy up with Customer Service and cheerfully gave me the 800 number to call. I was more interested in getting my trip choreagraphed rather than improve their quality of service and get put on hold, perhaps even in a different country this time. Based on what our forum is telling us about sky alliance with Delta, I feel like going through Travelocity again and have them completely rectify my situation and pay all my penalties and get me on a rational trip to Prague!
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

I can't believe what I wrote the other night. I am so sorry if I offended anyone. It sounded narrow-minded, bigoted, and out of touch with the real world. I love traveling, living in and being exposed to other cultures, and I speak two languages. I hate arrogant pushy travelers who expect others to speak their language (english) wherever they travel. However, when faced with a complicated situation on the phone, language and the ability to be understood can make a huge difference in any industry. I could sense my frustration that just came out the wrong way, and anyone that knows me would undoubtably know that. I know Czech Airlines is not perfect and they have older equipment, but I am looking forward to listening to Dvorak as I board the plane and to have a unique experience. Has anyone flown them recently?