Search

Concierge Tip?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concierge Tip?

Does anyone know what is the appropriate amount to tip a concierge who I have been in e mail contact with and has made 4 dinner reservations for us? I dont have a clue
Thanks
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Assuming they were basic resies I would give the equivalent of $5 or so each. If one or more was difficult increase it - perhaps double.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:01 AM
ira

Hi S,

Although wage rates are country specific, hospitality workers in Europe are, in general, properly paid and do not work for tips.

It is the concierge's job to pick up the phone and make reservations for you.

A tip is not expected.

Old May 16th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Ira -

Sorry - I've never met a concierge that didn;'t expect a tip for making reservations. (This is like saying in europe you don;t need to tip the maid, or the bellman for hauling your luggage around.)

They don;t expect them for the basics - handing out maps, giving directions and info, making restaurant suggestions, booking tous (they get a commission from the tour operator) - but as soon as they get on the phone and start doing specific things for you - restaurant resies, concert tickets, car services, etc - they expect - and deserve - a tip.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:56 AM

>>> "It is the concierge's job to pick up the phone and make reservations for you.
A tip is not expected."<<<

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but, that’s a bunch of baloney!

scooter: I agree with nytravel that the services performed for you require the appropriate reciprocation of generosity.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:06 AM

We normally tip about E3 for each reservation the concierge or other hotel staff makes. Generally, we tip upon arrival if they have made reservations before we get there. Then we tip again when we leave as appropriate for help they have provided during our stay.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:06 AM
ira

Hi NYT and BB,

Perhaps we don't stay in the same places.

My point is that tips are not expected.

I have many, many times asked hotels to make reservations for me and have never seen any indication that the staff felt that they were doing something special that deserved extra compensation.

In the UK, Italy, Austria, France, Czech Republic, Denmark, Holland and Germany I have had porters, bellmen, hotel maids and cab drivers refuse tips.