Reload this Page >

Tipping the concierge?

Search

Tipping the concierge?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:13 PM
linda

Tipping the concierge?

Planning a trip to London - end of October. Does everyone routinely tip the hotel concierge for any information or arrangements they make for you? I never have done that before....but, when staying at the Covent Garden Hotel two years ago I noticed that someone tipped them for some restaurant reservations. Is it practice in certain cities or have I been rude for all the years before that I never tipped for directions, info., etc.?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:21 PM
xxx

Maybe I'm cheap too, but when a hotel advertises their rates as including service, and obviously charge more than hotels that don't have services like concierges, then I feel his fee is in the price of the room. At least that is for making simple reservations or offering directions to local sites. On the other hand if he got me into Gordon Ramsey or The Ivey on 24 hour notice, I'd definitely give him a tip, probably 5 pounds for that one reservation.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:29 PM
amy

Linda, if you don't know the custom, you're not rude. I think it's nice that you would care.<BR><BR>If and how much to tip, if you haven't noticed, is an ongoing debate on the site. I totally disagree with the above poster. If you use the services of the concierge to make reservations, it's customary to tip them. On the other hand,if you merely ask them which way to the metro or for a map of the city, that's more or less a regular type of service that doesn't need to be rewarded (although some would disagree).<BR><BR>You can do whatever you like, however. You're never going to see the person again, I'm sure. I'm like you--I just hate to be a cheapskate.<BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:58 PM
elaine

Hi Linda<BR>This is a dangerous topic, but I tip for special services, like a reservation at a hot restaurant or tickets to a sold-out show or making tour arrangements for a day trip, or renting a vcr.<BR><BR>I don't tip usually for confirming routine reservations, unless I feel that the person has been especially nice or helpful. The other thing is that each concierge doesn't work 24-7; often when I go to leave I find that the person I most liked is not on duty that day, so I try to offer tips for special service at the time (in an envelope) or else I check on when so-and-so will be on duty.<BR><BR>This website offers info and tipping suggestions for concierges<BR>http://conciergeassoc.org/concierg/concierg.htm

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:16 PM
linda

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like "rule of thumb" would be to tip based on the amount of time and effort given to a certain request.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:20 PM
tipper

Anyone that does a service for me, I would tip.