Ireland: Shannon to Kinsale ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning our SW itinerary for our 10 night trip to Ireland. We will fly non-stop from Boston to Shannon & are departing from Shannon. I would like to spend 3 nights each in Kinsale, Kenmare, Dingle then spend the 10th night near Shannon. Route planner indicates Shannon to Kinsale is 97 miles and 2 1/2 hours. Are we crazy to drive to Kinsale from the airport? We have visited Ireland before and will have three drivers.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM

No -- I've done worse. It shouldn't be any problem.

Three days is more than enough for Dingle. You might consider just 2 days and doing a day wandering around the Loop Head Peninsula, Kilkee, scenic route to the lighthouse, Lahinch, Cliffs of Moher, Burren, then end up in Shannon for your last night.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Budman:

Thanks for the reply. In addition to the three drivers, we will also have my 88 year old mother with us so I was trying to do 2 or 3 nights stays in each location...thought it might be more restful for her. I will look into Kilkee. Did the Burren 2 years ago basing ourselves in Ballyvaughan and loved it. Also, did the Cliffs about 8 years ago. A beautiful area.
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Shannon to Kinsale is a snap. A major highway (the N2?) connects Shannon to Cork, so going the 80 miles of that segment won't take more than 1.5 hours. Kinsale is < 20 miles from Cork.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Just a thought why not do Shannon to Dingle the first day. Its alot easier than Shannon to Kinsale for an 80 year old. I agree with budman that two days in Dingle is plenty, use the extra day and stay out on the Mizen or Sheepshead peninsula for some wild scenery and sea views. The hike down to Mizen head light might be too much for and 80 year old but the view from the coffe shop is not shabby while the rest hike down and over a very scary bridge.. Stay on the N-71 along the coast to Kinsale and stop in Clonkilty for the Michael Collins Museum. Three nights in Kinsale is OK, You can spend a day in Cobh and visit the heritage center, (very moving) or jump up to Blarney. The drive from Kinsale to the Shannon area is not hard but also not very exciting. The last afternoon around the Castle and Park, three Pubs within walking distance and some decent shopping or Ennis. Short drive to the Airport. If you want to try the Peninsulas I know a great B&B in Goleen right on a small harbor with balconeys overlooking the water and a wonderful resturant on the ground floor, very romantic. Having said this there is nothing wrong with you schedule. By the way if you haven't been to Kinsale before make sure you take the Ghost tour out of the Tap Tavern at night, lots of fun.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing.. Why not go from Shannon to Dingle first, and then make your way south and towards Kinsale.

I second at least a stop at Mizen, and the drives around that peninsula. If you can manage it, Mizen Head is beautiful, esp on a clear sunny day.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM

You know, on the way from Kinsale to Kenmare, you could easily do Mizen Head, and possibly drive up the Healy Pass.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

All,
Thanks so much for your comments & ideas. I had debated about reversing the itinerary & starting in Dingle, but we would miss the gourment food festival which takes place in Kinsale from Oct 7 - Oct 9. We definately want to go to Mizen Head and the Michael Collins' sites. Both my mother & husband are Irish history buffs.

One more question, my mother would like to see a horse race somewhere along this route. Any idea where we could catch a race? Thanks.