Concerned about traveling during war

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for feedback - I went to dinner with some friends last night and told them about my plans to travel to Germany for vacation in 2 weeks. They think I am crazy and there is no way they would risk it - I am really exited about this trip but wonder if I should cancel.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:44 AM
AR

If there was a war in Iraq, why should you be more worried about being in Germany than at home? If you were going to Israel or somewhere, then I would understand. Do not cancel unless your government advises the non travel of it's citizens (which is unlikely).
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:49 AM

I have no plans to cancel my upcoming Europe trip unless the State Dept. issues a formal warning. Go and enjoy beautiful Germany. I think there's more risk going to Washington.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:25 AM

What exactly are you risking?<BR><BR>You may die this year from a number of causes. Here are a few of your odds:<BR><BR><BR>Heart disease 1 in 300 <BR>Cancer 1 in 500 <BR>Gunshot 1 in 9,000<BR> <BR>Car accident 1 in 18,000 <BR>Hit by a car while walking 1 in 45,000 <BR>Drowning 1 in 200,000 <BR>Lightning 1 in 4 million <BR>Airline accident 1 in 8 million <BR>Terrorist attack 1 in 9 million
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Bootman4U

Let your &quot;friends&quot; stay here and worry while you GO and have a great time. They've probably decided that the Germans are going to react the same way some of the people in the US have such as &quot;renaming&quot; foods and I guess in a couple of instances actually physically attacking people. It is really too bad that they are directing their second thoughts and &quot;fears&quot; about the current situation toward you and not toward the folks in the US who are responsible for the entire thing.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Jon<BR>PS: I'm going to both France and Germany in a couple of weeks and cannot wait to leave...personally, I wouldn't mind it if a LOT of US folks stayed home..be less crowded over there! Cheers!!!

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:26 AM

<BR>You should go, but be aware that in Germany there is a growing boycott of American goods, as reported in Reuters yesterday. My neighbor just returned last week and didn't have any problems, but she's German. The Reuters story said some merchants aren't taking the American Express card in protest.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:34 AM

There are protests everywhere in Europe, why in all the world do you think Germany is the most dangerous for you?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:35 AM
MGB

Many European places did not take American Express before, Visa and MC seemed to be the cards of choice. An article said they were also boycotting Coke and Pepsi, so you may be &quot;forced&quot; to stick with european wine, beer or water! Since it seemed on our last trip that beer was cheaper than pop, it is probably the better option!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:41 AM

lilbabs - <BR><BR>I'm in Germany now. I've been here for two weeks on business. There have been protests in the areas I'm traveling in, but no problems that I've seen (or heard of) with American tourists. You don't mention where you are going to be - but I wouldn't worry about a thing. I haven't seen any evidence (yet) of any boycotts. If you are in an area where a protest is being held, just avoid it. Overall, the above posters are correct in that there are risks just getting in your car each day. Enjoy Germany - its wonderful!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Just returned from one week in Munich and we are very glad we went. The German people were polite and helpful. There was one peace rally in the square so we just headed in the opposite direction. A few German people outside Munich spoke to us about the war. They are upset with the government but not with the American people. My husband was very diplomatic and the conversations ended pleasantly. We would not have missed this trip! Thanks for your encouragement.<BR>