Search

Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels

Hi all!

I "think" I have a plan for the hotels for our October 4-14 trip and wanted to get your thoughts. We're 2 couples, early 50's, looking for great food, sightseeing, hiking/biking, etc. I have the beginnings of an itinerary but right now just trying to get the hotels nailed down. We are planning on staying 3 nights in each area. I have read reviews on all of the hotels but would like some "last minute recommendations" before I book. Flying into Munich and out of Zurich.

Thanks so much for your time!!! Kathey

Munich - Sofitel Munich Bayerpost (trying to stay under $400/night here)
Saltzburg - Hotel Schloss Monchstein
Lucerne - The Hotel Lucerne, Autograph Collection (using hotel points)
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What IS it going to take to change your mind? Anything?

I have no trouble with the Sofitel and my own personal favorite is sold old for the 4th (probably because Oktoberfest ends on the 3rd) anyway. The others I have never used so cannot objectively comment.
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 08:57 PM

Hi krumley,

I'm not crazy about the location of the Sofitel -- it's just about half a block from the main train station. That's not the prettiest location in the city, and you'll have a walk of about 10-15 minutes to get to the Marienplatz or the Viktuellenmarkt.

Instead, I would book the Platzl, located right in the heart of the city.

http://www.platzl.de/en/

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses! All it takes is the "right comment" to change my mind I have read multiple comments about the location of the Sofitel but also had some friends that weren't bothered by that area, saying it was "just typical large city". I was just interested to see if there were confirming or conflicting remarks! I did look at the Platzl but it was more $$ and if it's really worth it, we'll do it... but if not, that's more we have for food and wine!

I do love the planning, while waiting on hotel comments I'm on hiking/biking and not to be missed sights... Too much to see, not enought time!

Thanks again!!
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 08:49 PM

Hi again,

Maybe I ought to add --

The location isn't the prettiest or the most charming, as I said. I think, yes, saying it is typical large city is accurate! But when I spend a lot of money & time to travel, I don't want just a typical big city around me, a city that could be anywhere -- I like to be looking at stuff that defines that destination. When I'm on a lake, I like to have a lakeside room, and when I'm in the mountains, I like to have a view over the peaks; and, yup, I have to pay for it. And when in München, I would want to be in a typical Bavarian neighborhood with Bavarian buildings. München is a pretty charming place, and I guess I think I would want to be in the middle of that charm, lol.

Would you consider staying in a wonderful 3-star in a better location?

If so, try the Blauer Bock. It's not a 4-star, but the location is superb, right across the street from the Viktuellenmarkt, in a very pretty location. It's pretty upscale for a 3-star, I think. I spent 5 nights at the BB last July when I was in München for a language course.

Have fun!

s
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

THAT is great advice and I so appreciate your perspective!!! Will look at the BB. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 08:39 PM

Old Apr 25th, 2017, 12:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
swandav -

I zeroed in on your recommendation for Blauer Bock, as I'm planning a girl's trip for early December. I does indeed seem to be in a fabulous location, but I've read lots of reviews that refer to shared bathrooms. Is this the norm for this hotel, do you know?
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 01:27 PM

Scratch that Swandav, looks like the economy rooms have shared bath, but the standard rooms don't.
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 02:08 PM

The Platzl was booked for the 3rd but yes it IS worth it and the breakfast is wonderful, too. You cannot, IMO, go wrong at that hotel, location-wise included.
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Sorry, the Platzl was booked for the 4th I meant to say but try anyway.
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 08:55 PM

Hi Melnq8!

Glad you found the other rooms at the Blauer Bock. I did love the location -- at the end of the day, after classes, etc, I would just weave over to the Viktualienmarkt and grab a picnic to eat in the room. It was great.

I booked the BB here from Garmisch, and I found a real labyrinth of prices for the rooms -- may not appear if booking from the US. The cheapest rooms were, as you say, with shared bathrooms. But then the next class of rooms were offered at a cheaper price if you booked and paid by direct transfer from your bank. And then the most expensive price for the same room was by credit card. Because paying by bank transfer is common here but not in the US, I don't know if that option even shows up for US guests.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with it!

s
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 05:44 AM

Cheers swandav -

I wrote to the hotel and just heard back. Looks like to get away from the noise of the street and Eatly, one must book a premium room. These all have ensuite facilities. A bit pricy at 142 Euro for a single room but I may just book anyway as I love the location.