Coastal Donegal

Sep 30th, 2002, 11:51 AM
John

Coastal Donegal

Hello,

Planning to travel the coast north of Burtonport through Fanad and Inishowen. Seeking info on routes, sites, favorite towns, b&b's, eateries, music (pubs).
Have come to like the locals where the sheep have escaped. Any help will be appreciated.

Sep 30th, 2002, 12:27 PM
kam

Just returned. In Fahan (pronounced fawn) there is a fantatic country house called St. John's. Don't know if you're looking for a place to stay. The "Inishowen 100" is very well marked and takes you all around the peninsula. We actually drove over to Derry (perfectly safe to do) and then drove the Inishowen Peninsula backwards beginning at Muff. Wonderful pub called McGorty's before you get to Malin and Malin Head. It's a whole other world----bring rain gear though.

Oct 1st, 2002, 02:00 PM
bill

John:

The drive up the east coast of Fanad is spectacular. You have a beautiful view over to Inishowen. This is one of my favorite places in Ireland.

On Inishowen the town of Moville has a couple of of nice restaurants. I'm desparately trying to remember the names. One I think is the Foyle Hotel and the other is across the street as I remember. It's a newer place that was actually an old market that has been remodeled into a restaurant. Good food at both. We stayed at the Seawater View which was just outside of Redcastle. It was very comfortable and newly remodeled. The hostess was very nice. They have no web page but the phone number is: 353-077-82514. The bedrooms looked out over Loch Foyle.

Bill

Oct 1st, 2002, 02:41 PM
kam

John: Went back and checked our scratched out notes. It's McGrory's pub and it's in Culldaff. Perfect just about when you start to get hungry. Also recommend St. John's as above for dinner and Kealy's Seafood in Greencastle. Wish I were back again.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
LindaL

to the top

Oct 13th, 2002, 07:59 PM
kath

music sessions - monday night in Bunbeg and Teach Hudibeg Pub
And Teach Ruairi in Gortahork - I think on wednesday night!

Oct 14th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Eleanor

Check out www.irishvacationrental.com There are self catering cottages at Downings in Donegal on the site