Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

clothes and shoes advice for several weeks in Italy

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trip to Italy is just over a month away. We will be staying 3 1/2 weeks and traveling from hostels via the train. I already have my pack from a trip to the Grand Canyon two years ago. What do I need to pack as far as clothing goes? We are both in our late twenties and while we love the idea of looking cute in Italy, I'm imagining that I need to go buy some functional clothes for this trip. Where? What is essential? Clothes that don't wrinkle, clothes that dry fast, etc? How many items of clothing would you take? I'm notorious for over packing and want to start getting ready now so I can get it manageable before we head out on July 1st. As for shoes, my friend is just taking good tennis shoes and a pair of flip flops. Should I invest in Teva's or Merril's or will tennis shoes do? Any wonderful tips on how to maximize my clothing choices would be appreciated. I hate wearing shorts but I have a feeling that it's going to be a must to go purchase some for the heat in Italy.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:24 AM

i am absolutely notorious on this board in my opposition to all these "fashion questions" but even I have to speak up, and against wearing "flip flops" except to the beach.

I'm absolutely certain you can come up with something better than that and on your own!
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:34 AM

I am no fashion or travel expert and a true lover of flip flops here at home but not for travel. You run the risk of someone stepping on the heal and riiiip - you have no shoe. Also, if you are hustlin' around, up and down sometimes they don't stay on well. I take tevas.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:54 AM

As you read my advice, keep in mind I am not obsessed with fashion or with impressing people with my clothes.

The weather will be warm, maybe even hot. For summer travel in Italy I bring 1 pair of super lightweight pants (linen is a very light and breezy fabric), 1 pair of shorts that can double as a swimsuit, 1 nice wrinkle-resistant shirt and tie, and 3 t-shirts. Everything coordinates with everything else. Dark colors hide dirt and dry faster. And then add 4 pair of socks and 4 underwear. This includes what you wear on the plane.

1 pair of shoes, well broken in. Tennis shoes are fine. Comfort is WAY more important than style for your purpose. Whatever shoes you take, make sure they are broken before you go.

Don't worry about fashion statements. You will find you will interact much better with locals when you are polite and mind your manners than when you are dressed well. A well-dressed jerk is inferior to a polite rag-a-muffin.

Finally, the Great Myth. It is a TOTAL myth that Europeans are somehow better dressed than Americans. The average European is just as much a slob as the average American. What appear to be glaring differences in style show up when some average American visits Monaco or Portofino and compares himself to the rich snobs living there. Well, duh. I'd also look like a vagabond if I paid a visit to Boca Raton or Beverly Hills.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Greetings Livi,

You will find many opinions here on what clothing to wear, but this is what seems to be universal:

1) Wear what YOU find comfortable. (especially with shoes, I would not recommend new shoes, wear one pair and pack one pair of shoes you already KNOW to be very comfortable for walking.)

2) Do not overpack. (Pack lightweight tops and bottoms of your choosing that you can interchange with everything, that way if one pair of slacks gets dirty the other pair will match with all the tops you have with you.)

If you are female, I love summer skirts rather than shorts, and they will keep you cool, just remember that they should be to the knee or longer for entry into churches. (And no sleeveless tops, shoulders must be covered.)

From what you stated, you will have a backpack. Luckily what you will need will be lightweight due to the time of year. Bring enough for a week or maybe ten days and then do a laundry stop once or maybe twice within your 3 1/2 week journey.

I am quite envious, three and a half weeks, what a wonderful adventure!

Best wishes, post a trip report upon your return, ok? T.