Cirencester, anyone?

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cirencester, anyone?

I couldn’t afford to travel this year (poor, poor, pitiful me!) and today I happened to pick up my appointment book from last year and noticed that, on this very day, I had ventured into the English town of Cirencester. I was reminiscing about what a wonderful time we had and about how much I enjoyed the town. There was 30+ yards of Roman wall, a beautiful church, a beautiful green park within the remains of a once-great abbey, a nice museum, Roman amphitheatre, and a nice shopping district. It occurred to me that I don’t believe I've ever seen Cirencester mentioned as an alternative place to visit instead of Bath, York, Cambridge, etc.<BR><BR>I’m not sure how long the trip was from London but I don’t recall it as having been that long. Has anyone else out there visited in Cirencester and did you enjoy it as much as I did?<BR>
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:37 PM
ira

Hi<BR> Yes. Yes.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:48 PM
ron

Yes, I have been there twice. It�s a pleasant town, the church is superb. It probably gets missed by many tourists because the train doesn�t go there, but it is less than 5 miles from the station at Kemble.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:30 PM
ira

My wife thought that the highlight of the trip was Kemble, because of the cat at the pub near the bus stop.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 03:05 PM

I spent the first night of my honeymoon (May 1979) there at a B&amp;B called La Ronde, which at the time was owned by Norman Shales. The stay was unforgettable as was Mr Shales. I think my fondness for the place is a little on the personal side, however, and I don't see it as an alternative to Bath, York or Cambridge.<BR><BR>Thanks for the question, though.