best 4 night venue in Cotswolds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we were scheduled to stay at the Lords of the Manor outside of Upper Slaughter and my wife decided too remote, she wants to be closer to a village/small city we can walk to pubs, stores etc. Perhaps closer to oxford or Cambridge.

Any recommendations, 4 star only if possible, this is 1st time we have been away together in 5 years.

we leave on 10/11 so not much time to make arrangements.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM

You really don't want to get close to Cambridge. Flat, cold, wet - and a great deal quicker to get to Amsterdam from there than to the Cotswolds.

By definition, no village in the Cotswolds, apart from Broadway, has any decent shops. However, these ancient market towns do:

Burford
Chipping Campden
Northleach
Tetbury
Winchcombe
Stow on the Wold
Moreton in Marsh

And, though it's not technically in the Cotswolds and the countryside immediately around's a bit boring, Woodstock. Of them, Woodstock's nearest Oxford: Burford's next (and has much prettier countryside)

But why does nearness to Oxford matter? The distances are trivial: it's the five miles into and out of Oxford from its ring road that takes forever for most people. If you're thinking of training it, there is no 4 star hotel in a Cotswold town with a railway station.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Bob,

I just drove through the cotswolds [and back again] this last weekend and it reminded me how nice it is.

My favourite town is Tetbury where there is a proper non-tourist life[they had a music festival on this lasst wekend] and there are several nice hotels/hostelries. also lots of shops, cafes, etc.

i always headed for the Snooty Fox, which I've found very reliable for food, though I've nver stayed there. The Close is nice too.

though slightly to the south of the main cotswold area, Tetbury is close enough to the rest for it to be called central, plus it's an easy drive to Bath, Cirencester, Westonbirt Artoretum [glorious this time of year] etc.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM

To Burford, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Moreton-in-marsh may I add Boughton-on-the-water, all of which we visited several years ago.
The latter was my favourite where we spent a night and 2 full days. There seemed to be a lot to see and do in the area, though I remember large tourist buses rolling into the town which we keenly avoided during the day, chosing to enjoy the town during the early evening, night and early to mid-morning.

Enjoy the area.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM

I believe you mean Bourton-on the-Water. May have a difficult time finding the other

I'm not a big fan of Bourton/Water as it's a bit too touristy for me. A place to visit for first timers, but probably not to stay.

flanneruk's list has the best options, IMO.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM

We have stayed four nights in the Cotswolds just in July. We followed flanner's advice and stayed in Chipping Campden. After we had seen most other Cotswolds towns, we considered our choice as almost perfect: lots of opportunities for strolling day&night, visiting the church, pubs, restaurants etc.

However, I am not sure if you find a five-star-place there. We stayed at the Lygon Arms in Chipping Campden, which is a 4-star-inn, and enjoyed it.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Hi- I must say you're giving up a lovely place to stay. Lords of the Manor is close enough to everything you'd want to do in that area being located in Upper Slaughter. I think you should revisit the decision, and yes, I've stayed there and toured Chipping Camden, Bourton-on-Water, Moreton, Oxford, Warwick, Sudeley, and I've forgotten a few more, in the four days that we stayed there. It's quite lovely; give another thought or two to this.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM

I think bobscarano's leeriness about those rather poncey places in the middle of nowhere is extraordinarily well-founded.

Upper Slaughter's close to absolutely nowhere. To get to a real pub, a restaurant or even a place selling The Sun means you have to get into a car - which in turn means you've got to be a bore and watch what you drink.

The whole point of our way of life is meandering off for the paper in the morning, and for a couple of pints at night. This is only really possible in a proper town that got its market charter in the 13th century and hasn't built too much since - though by a historical quirk, arriviste Woodstock, most of which is repellently new (they've got the cheek to pretend 18th century buildings are old, they're that noove), has a similar feel.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM

I agree with Flanner's list. On our last visit we actually stayed in Broadway at Russell's which we enjoyed.

I think the Slaughters are wonderful although agree there seems to be little to do at night..some of the places we saw in the area I wouldn't even call a "village"..more like a "hamlet" but that's what makes the whole area so wonderful IMO.

Have a great time; assume you have a car.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Boob:

I agree with affable Dukey. We stayed in Broadway for the second time this past spring. The Lygon Arms is probably a four star...and we stayed next door at "Small Talk" b and b. The Russel also looks quite nice, and there are ample restaurant choices in town...even an Indian establishment.

Whatever you choose, have a great time...

stu t.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
check out these two in Burford

http://www.burford-house.co.uk/
http://www.cotswold-inns-hotels.co.u...otel/index.htm
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM

I think the Lygon Arms would meet your requirements for 4* lodging--I've been in the pub-restaurant as opposed to the formal. It was quite good. I think it's one of the top spots in the Cotswolds. Broadway has the usual tea rooms, some nice book and antique shops, etc--all on the main road, or Broadway, dontcha' know?
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
there are two Lygon Arms.

The one in Chipping Campden is very nice but not nearly as expensive as the one in Broadway.

I personally would choose the one in Chipping Campden . . . . .

But I'd probably prefer staying in Burford myself.