Bath or Stratford as Base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still planning for our November trip to England. Had thought of staying in Bath for 4-5 nights, but after reading Rickmav's reports of the Stratford area, thinking of changing. We've been to Bath before, but never to Stratford-Upon-Avon or the Cotswolds. We enjoy "market day", antique shops, charity shops, and a few scenic or historic sites along the way. One advantage I see to Stratford is that it appears flater for walking! We are seniors, will be using bus, train, taxi, and feet for travel.
What do you see as the pros & cons of these two towns for a mid-November visit?
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Either one would be a fine base. But Bath is definitely not flat. The very center of the town is flat - but it is basically built at the bottom of a steep river valley. The town and immediate area around Stratford is flat - or flat-ish.

I personally would not stay IN Stratford -- but that is because I usually have a car and can stay in more remote villages. But for someone who wants to rely on Public transport, Stratford would be a good base. There are buses and trains to lots of places. Plus in Nov the tourist hordes have gone home for the season.
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Hi Barbara5353. I agree with janisj - if you have a car, there are a lot of beautiful villages outside Stratford where you could stay. But if you are using public transportation, Stratford is perfect. Particularly in November when the tourists have gone and the town is gearing up for Christmas.

I like Bath, too, but if you've been there already, why not try Stratford and the Cotswolds. As you can tell from my report, we loved it. And there's no end of market days, charity and antique shops and historic sites - all in or close by Stratford.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Old May 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM

hi Barbara 5353
My husband & I have been to both Bath and Stratford, and we love Stratford so much we have been back there 4 times!! There is so much to do and see. Especially the wonderful Shakespearean plays! But it is near the heart of the Cotswolds which is the
best part of England. I love the little towns especially Lower Slaughter (so typically English, it has a little river running thru the town, quiet streets, beautiful houses, etc.)
Bath is nice, for a day trip, but doesn't have near the charm as Stratford and the Costwolds.
Cheerio!
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM

hi barbara
any decision on your choice of bath or stratford? just curious?
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we've decided on Stratford. We'll stay there for a week and take day trips out and about. I'm starting to receive brochures from the TIC's in the area and having fun planning explorations of new places. We are staying at Cherry Trees. It's a B&B, but the room has a large sitting area overlooking the garden as well as a fireplace and refrigerator. Plus the owner said we could use the washer and dryer for that long a visit. I just hope the description is right is saying it is a "short 5 minute walk" to shops and restaurants. Here's a link to the website, for anyone who knows the city and can comment on the location:
www.cherrytrees-stratford.co.uk
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM

I haven't stayed there but it looks like a terrific find. I could tell from the driving directions on the site exactly where it is -- and when I clicked on the map - yep, exactly

You can walk across the bridge or take the foot ferry. You will be in a great location . . . .
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

What is the "foot ferry"?
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM

I don't know what else to call it. It is the foot ferry. A ferry for foot passengers that crosses the river near the theatres.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Oh, the foot ferry sounds nice.
It's called that on the map, too. I have it pictured as a little barge that goes to and fro every few minutes. It appears on the map that there is a pedestrian bridge, also...in addition to the car bridge? One way or another, our feet will be crossing the river a few times every day since it looks like all the shops, etc. are on the "other" side from our B&B on Swans Nest Lane.
(Love the name)
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Hi Barbara
Welcome to Stratford- that's where I am writing from. Cherry Trees is VERY close to the shops/town centre and just across the river from the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. Your visit in November might just co-incide with the switch-on of the Christmas lights which are wonderful. Fridays are market days in Rother Market and Thursday evenings in Nov.and Dec. there is a market all the way down the centre of the main (Bridge)street. You'll find a great choice of restaurants in Sheep Street and the Tourist Information centre at Bridgefoot can advise on trips out to the Cotswolds/Warwick Castle, Royal Leamington Spa
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM

bookmarking
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM

nanabee and bellini,

I have reserved a room at a B&B in
Stratford but still need some advise on a B&B in the Midlands. Will be doing genealogy research between Melton Mowbray and Nottingham. Probably coming from Torquay by train through Derby and Loughborough and then renting a car. Do you have any suggestions?
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:55 AM

smurf: please see my post on the other thread where you asked this question . . . . . .
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM

Barbara5353 - If we return I'd love to stay at Cherry Trees B&B. Please post back on how things worked out.

Sandy