Cotswolds Questions

Search

Cotswolds Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswolds Questions

I'm doing early planning for my June 2009 to the UK. I plan to spend 4 nights in the Cotswolds before a week in London.

My plan is to go directly to Moreton-in-Marsh upon arrival at Heathrow early on Monday morning. I chose Moreton-in-Marsh since I will not have a car and can travel there by train. Once there, I plan to take the local bus to visit Chipping Campden and Broadway, Hidcote Manor Gardens, Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water. I plan to leave for London on Friday morning.

My questions: would it be best to travel to Paddington Station and then by train to Moreton-in-Marsh or is there a direct route by bus from Heathrow?

Secondly, any comments about the Warwick House B and B in Moreton-in-Marsh as a base for my stay?

I am considering stopping in Oxford for the day on my way to London after my Cotswolds stay. I'm assuming there would be a place I could leave my luggage while I wander around Oxford, perhaps at the train station?

Thanks in advance for you comments and suggestions!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Nope - there are no left luggage facilities in Oxford. If it was me - I'd do Oxford as a day trip from my Moreton-in-Marsh base. Then you wouldn't have to deal w/ luggage at all. During your time in Moreton, take one day to visit Oxford and then on your last day there you can spend the time in Chipping Campden, or walking or whatever and then catch the train to London.

From LHR you could either go into Paddington and then to M-i-M -- or -- you could take the bus to Oxford and then a train from there. The Oxford bus station and train station are not that near each other - so I'd probably go to Paddington.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM

We just had a tour of the Cotswold last June, 2008 and had a great time. We had a guide for 2days.

Chipping Campden is a bustling town. Most of the antique dealers from Broadway moved here according to our guide. And it shows too. So if it is a choice of where to spend most of your time- spend it in Chipping Campden.

Broadway is no longer the "jewel of the Cotswold". I was so disheartened by the Broadway now and what it was when I saw it 11 years ago. It is more a residential area than a busy town.

Hidcote Manor Gardens is great. Wish we had more time to really appreciate it.

Stow-on-wold is a nice little town typical of Cotswold. I like it.

We stayed in Bourton-on-the-water. Yes, it is a very picturesque, bustling little town to visit. They have very good restaurants along the river. We enjoyed our sojourn there.

Have fun...

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM

I spent 2 nights this past February in Morton-in-Marsh. Nice town with a very warm and great pub, the Black Bear. I stayed at the Tree Top B&B, about a 7 block walk from the train station.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM

I am hoping you will post a trip report as I am very interested in doing the Cotswolds/Statford/Oxford/Warwick Castle via public transportation! Have a great trip!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM

You might be interested in my trip report. It starts with Stonehenge/Salisbury/Devon/Bath, but it ends with Cotswolds, Warwick and Oxford.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35148574
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM

If you go to Burton-on-the-Water don't miss Upper and Lower Slaughter. They are just across the highway from Burton.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM

Bourton can be VERY VERY jammed with visitors on weekends so be prepared for that possibility. Of course, there's a REASOn they show up there as you'll learn...very pretty place.

I would absolutely agree with trying to get to the Slaughters if possible and despite what was said above, I think you might still enjoy Broadway although it isn't as large as Chipping Camden...still worth a visit perhaps.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your comments and suggetions. I'm sure I'll have further questions as my trip gets nearer.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:25 AM

Think about Burford. Lovely small town, not as spoilt as the others. Interesting historic church. Not such a day trip destination. http://www.burfordcotswolds.co.uk/visitors/visit.html
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:35 AM

We went to Moreton-in-Marsh and Chipping Campden this summer using public transportation. Be very careful about reading the bus schedule. We almost missed our train from Moreton back to Oxford because we did not realize that the bus we wanted to take was only offered on school holidays! (There are small print abbreviations on the schedule that you MUST pay attention to). We spent 2 extra hours in Chipping and made our train only because our bus driver was practicing to be Speed Racer!

Also, on the main street in Moreton is a wonderful fish & chips restaurant. Look for lots of people standing in line going into a very small place where you order the food and then leave with big smiles on your faces!

We loved walking to St. James Church (be sure and go behind the church past the cemetary for an idyllic view of ruins, sheep, stonewalls, everything Cotswolds).Here's a preview picture: http://www.chippingcampden.co.uk/contentok.php?id=635 Also, there is a great walk to view thatched homes. You will love the rea.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Just wanted to say that we were in Oxford just the other day and there is a place to leave your luggage. It isn't in the train station but the people at the Travel Information place in the train station told us about it. It is a backpackers hostel just across the street and up a block from the station. It is 2GBP for each peice of luggage.
Worked out well.