Cinque Terre or Siena

Search

Cinque Terre or Siena

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre or Siena

We have a couple of day between Florence and Rome. Which would be best to go, Cinque Terre or Siena?
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Cinque Terre. It is a different experience from both Florence and Rome. You will get a better sense of the tiny cliff villages--very unlike the other cities you will visit. To me the hiking/walking was beautiful and spectacular. I loved the towns, especially Vernazza.
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I sorry I have to vote for Sienna. Both are great places, but if I had to choose its Sienna
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM
amaclise

I haven't been to the Cinque Terre but I have been to Siena and LOVED it. Even so I would vote for the Cinque Terre since Siena is still another city (albeit small); it will feel a bit like Florence and nothing feels like the Cinque Terra, I'm told. The only caveat would be if you don't want to walk on some slightly bumpy, hilly trails but prefer urban landscapes, then I would go for Siena. You'll be seeing a gem of the world either way!

Old May 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Welll, I am not a huge fan of the CT, but since you are going to be in two other cities, I guess the CT would be a good choice for variety. Small towns, sea views, lots of hiking.

Siena is a great little city, and I like it, but I think the change would be nice; you would get to see three very different places if you visited Rome, Florence and the CT.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM

I would suggest seeing Sienna, San Gimignano and perhaps Orvieto. The Cinque Terre area is not between Florence and Rome; it is between Florence and Genoa. You could go there, but it is out of the way you are going. Sienna, Orvieto and San Giminano are wonderful places and happen to be on the way to Rome. I love Cinque Terre, but I think that the Sienna direction may be better in this case.
John
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As you can see, everyone has their preferences. You haven't mentioned your interests, so it's hard to know whether you'd enjoy CT more than Siena or vice-versa.

Each destination has an interesting past. I was especially intrigued by Siena remaining more medieval as the Renaissance was flourishing in nearby Florence. Because travel was severely limited during the many episodes of plague, many of the advanced ideas of the Renaissance didn't "migrate" to Siena. Comparing the nearby hill towns was also interesting to me.

Art, architecture, history and food in Florence/Rome/Siena. Scenery, walking and seeing a bit of the (fading) Italian fishing culture in Cinque Terre.
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:09 AM

I have been to both...just recently returned from Tuscany. CT would get my vote as it is more laid back and with two large cities already in your itinerary...it would be nice to take it down a notch by the sea. CT is beautiful and you will love it.
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:30 AM

One vote for CT. Even if you don't do the hiking, it's worthwhile to take the boat from Monterosso to Porto Venere, with stops in between.

You'll have gotten your fill of history and architecture in Rome and Florence.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:04 AM

My partner loved the drive on the little road to Siena the views are truly awesome but he was not impressed with city . And parking was terrible.The meal we had in Siena was also not good (mystery meat leftovers)

We love the CT. The food was great everywhere that we ate.The night with the twinkling lights over the ocean was so romantic.
If I was driving I would still be able to see the vineyards,olive groves, and poppied hills going south toward Rome.

If you are doing the train then the Ct is totally convienient for that.
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:25 AM

CT - no matter how many times I go the first view of the water from the train is one of the highlights of my trip!
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM

The time of year you're travelling will help you decide, but count me in with another vote for the Cinque Terre. I am not a fan of Siena (but most are).