Siena's Pre Palio vs. Cinque Terre???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of four - kids aged 11 and 14) are coming down to the short strokes on a two week trip to Italy including Rome, Civita, Florence and Siena and I'm trying to decide whether to try to squeeze in Cinque Terre or have two nights in Siena as the City ramps up for Palio. We won't be in Siena for the final day's race, but understand the pre-race days can also be quite interesting. Anyone been to Cinque Terre as well as Palio and have any insight to offer. I understand Cinque Terre is beautiful and our kids love to hike, but wondering whether it is too much hassle if we only really have one day to enjoy it. We've also been to other beautiful water settings - not Italy mind you, but spectacular nonetheless. Please weigh in! Thanks!!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM

I've been to Siena and only when it was not Palio season. It's a wonderful place, and while I've never gotten to visit the Cinque Terre if I had to choose between the two I'd choose Cinque Terre.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:51 AM

Either would be fun--but go for Cinque Terre. Vernazza would be a good choice for a couple of days. Good hiking will entertain the kids and adults. And they can go for a dip in the small harbor.

Jinx Hoover
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks francophoile03 and Jinx. Jinx, I'm having a hard time booking accommodations in Vernazza and since we traveling as a family don't want to just wing it. Any thoughts?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM

We were at the Palio July of 2006 and it was wonderful. Even if you can't be there for the actual race... there are the trials and so much excitement. I would choose Siena in this case.

We also always do to Cinque Terre and stay in Vernazza. It is beautiful and the hiking is great. If you decided on Vernazza, Gianni Franzi may have a couple of rooms. http://www.giannifranzi.it/
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:48 AM

We were in Siena just before the Palio. It was interesting watching them erect the bleachers and viewing stands. There was a lot of activity and energy. I remember we stayed in a small hotel a couple of blocks away from Il Campo and we would be awakened several times during the night by young men representing the various contradas...singing, laughing, shouting out cheers. Obviously they had been out drinking and celebrating the upcoming race and we didn't mind the interrupted sleep as it was pretty entertaining.
That being said...it did add a dimension to experiencing Siena - it caused us to investigate the whole "contrada" system. However since your kids are the ages they are there is no doubt in my mind that they would much more enjoy Cinque Terre. Vernazza is so tiny that during peak seasons it does fill up. Monterrosso is much bigger but isn't too big and it offers more opportunities for lodging. Because the villages are so close to each other you can take train or boat and get to them easily and quickly...it really doesn't matter that much which one you sleep in.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM

We have stayed a couple of times with Trattoria Gianni (see jnjfraz). I know they have a triple room since our son stayed with us once. Good luck with accomodations.

Jinx Hoover
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for advice on CT. Since we have limited time and from what I've read I think we'd prefer to stay in Vernazza. However, the only accommodation I can find in Vernazza is on the main road near Marconi Square called Madonnina with Monica Lercari Boroni. Anyone ever stayed here or know the location???
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM

I don't remember the name of the main square of Vernazza but it is a the waterside. There is a main walkway leading up from the square to the train station. There are no cars in Vernazza and no streets that we would call roadways, although that description could be due to translation. If the accomodation is on the main square near the water it would be a wonderful location. It is a beautiful village, even when crowded.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM

We have been to both Siena for prePalio and Cinque Terre....hard choice!!! They are my 2 favorite places in Italy...and maybe in Europe.
If I was already in Siena, I would stay for the prePalio...it really is very cool. We were there for one of the horse races in the Square and it was an amazing sight with everyone hanging off the balconies (safety is not a concern, apparently) and all the flags in the streets and the festivities. Cinque Terre is gorgeous and the hiking is incredible but it is not an easy drive and not sure worth it for one day.
You will enjoy either...
I am jealous!!