Christmas Markets in Paris?

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Markets in Paris?

Has anyone got any information on where there might be Christmas markets in Paris? I thought that there was one near the Arch of Triomphe? I am leaving for Paris tomorrow morning so please share if you can think of anyplace. Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Just returned from Paris. There were a few stalls being set up in front of St. Germain Church but were not open and couldn't tell you when they open.

I checked the Where magazine but didn't see a listing for any Christmas markets. Will you be going elsewhere?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:20 AM

When we were there a few weeks ago, lots of stalls in the regular weekly markets were selling Christmas gift type fare.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Just make sure not to try to go to the Opera area on a Saturday or Sunday as the big department stores were mobbed!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:24 AM

And, as you should in the German and Austrian "Christmas Markets" inspect any and all merchandise..unless you don't mind buying something that was made in the Far East.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM

the only ones I know of in central Paris at in front of Gare St-Lazare, Gare de l'Est and at place de la Nation in the 11th. There is also one at the Maison de l'Alsace at 39, ave des Champs-Elysees which might be the one you are thinking of. I think that is the trade association, so to speak, for Alsace.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:45 AM
jay

http://www.paris-touristoffice.com/index_va_v2.html

this is the site for the paris tourist office. go to the events section and do a search. if you use the drag topics on the site there is one for christmas markets. it will give you a list of 11 althought there are more i think. there is one at the pompidieu centre that is very fun. i know there is also one near st. sulpice. email me with any questions.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Two years ago i was in Paris for christmas and there was a Christmas Market set up in the courtyard of the Palais Royal, opposite the Louvre. It was a traditional German-style market selling Christmas trinkets and piping hot wine, sweets, etc. Don't know if it's an annual location but was very substantial.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:51 AM

When we were there at Christmas one year, we found a wonderful market at the Fountain des Innocents between Forum des Halles and Pompidou Center. There was another in the Trocadero area just across the Seine from the Eifel Tower.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Once again my Fodor buddies come through. Thanks everyone for the suggestions-I will jot them all down and check them out. (I know what you are talking about Intrepid concerning the Far East knockoffs in the German Christmas markets-its the same stuff they are selling at my Target store but more expensive! I was VERY upset with the Christmas market in Mainz this past weekend-only a few stalls of actual German Christmas stuff. I really think the place was one big "mulled wine" carnival? Hopefully,Paris will prove better with some interesting things. If not, I always enjoy the Christmas windows! Thanks again.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:51 AM

DH and I just returned from Paris yesterday. The only Christmas market we visited was the one outside of Gare St. Lazare. Mostly crap, reminded me of a flea market. However there was one woman who had really nice Alsacian doilies and table covers (I saw these in Alsace in September) for reasonable prices. I was told there was one at the Louvre/Rivoli metro stop, but there was not. Yes, the major department stores are open on Sundays in September, and they are an absolute mob scene! I was sort of wondering if Parisians would embrace the concept of shopping on Sundays, I can tell you they have