Christmas Markets in Paris

Oct 27th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Christmas Markets in Paris

Will be in Paris the first week of December. Are there any Christmas markets at that time? If so where are they located? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Oct 27th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Various foreign (including American) groups put on crafts fairs. FUSAC online may advertise some.

At the IKEA store at PARIS NORD they have stalls set up outside around xmas.

Seasonal food items can be found at any street market and on the market streets: wholesale foie gras on rue de montugeuil.

I've never seen these as they are in the US.
Oct 28th, 2004, 01:08 AM

I was there the first week in Paris two years ago and there was definately a market beside the Centre Pompidou. It had crafts, food (Mulled wine and potatoes in cream and bacon!). I bought small gifts and a great lamp from a morrocan lamp stall. It was a really fun place and got you in the mood for Christmas. All the department store windows were decorated as well and they had christmas decorations for sale that were a bit different from what I get in Ireland. Lovely trip!

S
Oct 28th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Oct 29th, 2004, 07:31 AM

In Dec 2002 i saw a huge Christmas market like the one described above at Pompidou Center in front of the Palais Royal opposite the Louvre. The most popular thing to do at Christmas seemed to be to look at the elaborate fairy-tale-themed store windows at Galleries Lafayette and Au Printemps, adjoining each other by the Auber-Opera RER (metro) stop - huge thongs gathered here to see the replica of scenes from cinderella, etc. Inside the stores themselves were more decorations, especially in the huge dome of Galleries Lafayette. Other than that i was disappointed at the lack of Christmas decorations in Paris in general.
Oct 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Hi austine,

There's a Christmas market up at the Le Defense area also. Similar products to the one's already mentioned.

==Mike