Christmas in Europe 2019

Search

Christmas in Europe 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in Europe 2019

We are from New Zealand and wanting to spend Christmas in Europe (preferably Germany or Poland) this year (2019). We want to stay somewhere that is beautiful, preferably with a good chance of snow, that will provide a special Christmas experience including a Christmas dinner. We are not interested in skiing.

All suggestions most welcome!
Kristin
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Krwicke -

We've spent several Christmases in Europe - we love Germany at Christmas - so festive - and Switzerland - which is more sedate, but lovely indeed. This year we also included Austria, and had snow coming out of our eyeballs in Seefeld, but that's certainly not a given.

If you're looking for Alps and stunning scenery (with a chance of snow) you might take a look at Garmisch, Mittenwald and Berchtesgaden in Germany, Seefeld, Salzburg and Innsbruck in Austria, and just about anywhere at elevation in Switzerland - our choice is usually the Engadine.

PS - We've been visiting NZ since the early 90's on a pretty regular basis - I envy you living there (current tourist situation aside).
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll second Melnq8's suggestion for Bavaria, Salzburg (and the Salzkammergut), Seefeld, and so forth. We have spent a few Christmas seasons in this area, some with/out snow, but definitely alps to admire! We have also spent one Christmas in Krakow; lovely, but without snow.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melinq8 for all that useful information. Is there any hotel that you would recommend for a special Christmas day food and celebration?
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Again very useful information. I am now looking for the name of a hotel that provides a special Xmas package.
Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 02:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
krwicke -

Can't help with a special Christmas dinner/hotel. We usually stay in apartments. Keep in mind that much of Germany shuts down around 2 pm on Christmas Eve and many businesses will stay closed for a few days depending on how the holiday falls.

Our favorite Christmas Day activity is winter hiking (often at a ski area).

One Christmas Day in Munich we watched the surfers (see below), wandered through the Englischer Garten (there was still a small Christmas Market open there on Christmas Day), visited a few churches and watched the Christmas Market vendors at Marienplatz pack up. Might sound weird, but it was a great day. We didn't go hungry - some restaurants re-opened on Christmas afternoon for limited hours.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/river...nich_n_5111268
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 02:52 PM

for a cheaper winter place for snow if you go to Krakow - the gem of Poland - then a short train ride south takes you to Zakopane, a popular winter resort. But I think you can hit more easily some nice places in Bavaria or Salzkammergut but don't think snow is guaranteed in those places except highest mountains. Trains are great - for more on them check www.bahn/de/en for schedules and self-booking - but also check regional passes too - like the bargain Bavaria Pass which lets you ride unlimited regional trains and buses and city transports for a whole day for about 35 euro total for two people and slightly more for additional people. General info German trains - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 03:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We already booked our apartment for Garmisch Christmas week. The one I wanted was booked and another I liked was booked so I went for it. We are going to go to the Zugspitze on Christmas day.