Search

Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas

I have some time off at Christmas and would like to go to Spain. I could arrive December 22nd or December 26th & stay until January 4th. I would love to have the extra time but am worried that everything will be closed and deserted on Christmas day and perhaps Christmas eve and I, spouse and my teenager will feel lonely. Can anyone tell me what Spain is like on 12/25? Is it better to be in a large city like Madrid? Are bars or cafes open to serve patrons after a midnight mass? Is it worthwhile finding a midnight mass to go to? Are there other nonreligious activities on 12/24 and 12/25? Any information would be helpful.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 07:06 AM

I've spent Christmases in Spain. Obviously, it's better to stick to big cities. Very few restaurants and bars stay open on the evening of the 24th (it's when Spaniards go home to their families), so either eat early or be prepared for a limited choice. On Christmas Day, there are few problems and lots of cafés, bars and restaurants are open.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:06 AM

You're better off arriving after Christmas day unless you have friends or family to spend time with. As Geofhamer pointed out, it's fairly quiet on the 24th and 25th regardless if you're in a big city or small village. It's a time to spend with your friends and family, so very little will be open. Everything changes on the 26th when life gets more-or-less back to normal.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

I have spent Christmas in Italy and it seemed lots of folks were out & about. Maybe having the pope speak was part of the energy. Have either of you been in Madrid at Christmas?
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM

Shops will be open on Christmas eve. There is the traditional Christmas Market, but it is a fairly quiet time for most tourist. We always plan on arriving after Christmas and before New Year's. It's pretty much the same as being in Paris. There are some events going on, depending on where you are. The streets will be lit up, but the celebration is more subdued. You can arrive in time for Christmas, but I still suggest you plan on arriving after the 25th and enjoy the New Year's celebration on the Puerta del Sol.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 11:01 AM

Airfare is typically very cheap on dec 24th evening and dec 25th day flights. So thats what I typically do. Of course that only works if you aren't going to be celebrating christmas anyway.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Would Barcelona be a better city to spend Christmas?
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:13 AM

Barcelona's nice, but I'd go with Madrid.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:31 PM

We're also looking for a place to go over Christmas break with our 2 college sons. They are both fluent in German, and have been to Germany several times, so anywhere in Germany or Austria, or parts of Switzerland would be easy. (We love Vienna...) But none of us have been to London (recently) or Scotland and are considering those places. Any thoughts about crowds, costs (do rates go back up?)? Thanks-
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

I have been researching Christmas possibilities for 2004 and have spent many other holidays abroad. London is not enjoyable during this time. Everything closes Dec. 24th through the 26th. No museums, stores etc. I think there is theatre on 26/12. It could be cold and rainey. Not much fun. Rome, Italy had some life. There were street venders out Christmas day, you can join the crowds at the vatican and on 24/12 there is midnight mass and there were bars open. I am trying to find out about Spain but so far (as you can see from this forum) the advise I am receiving is "not a good time".
The best place we have gone is Thiland. Wonderful country, lots to do. Everything is open. A variety of special things to do. I just did not have the time or $ for airfare this year to go back to that area. We have spent the holidays in Germany and the ski areas are alive. One of the best new years I've spent was in Budapest. The hot thermal baths were fun and lots to do.