Europe

Nov 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Europe

If I come to Europe on a visitor passport get married and want to reside in London what are the odds I will get deported without my spouse being able to come with me? Yes I am American. Is it easier to get married in Europe then become a citizen of London?
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:51 AM

What?
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:51 AM

destini: This entire board is about Europe. If you put something a bit more specific in your title, you're likely to get better information.

As for your question "is it easier to get married in Europe then become a citizen of London," sorry, I don't understand. London is in Europe. Do you mean is it easier to get married on the Continent and then move to London? I don't know. But in any case, there are significant legal issues here. As an American citizen you can't just up and move to Europe without facing the risk of being deported ultimately. Your tourist visa is good for 90 days. Beyond that, you're illegal. There are lots of people living under the radar screen I'm sure, but personally I wouldn't want to be one of them.
Nov 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Check with the British Embassy or a British consulate what the citizenship rules are for someone marrying a Briton (I assume you are marrying someone from England). Where you marry the person should not make any difference. The question is whether marrying a British subject automatically entitles you to citizenship in the U.K.
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:00 AM

I don't know about the odds of you being deported, but the odds of your spouse being not able to come with you immidiately are very high.

You will have to file paperwork with INS or whatever is the new name of this organization now, and wait for permission for your spouse to come to US on a visa, not even a green card. I don't know if this would be possible to do in London in the US embassy or not.

If you're going to London to stay long time you'll need a work visa, not a tourist visa. Why don't you try to figure this out first.

The best way would be if your fiance (you have one already, right?) send you a fiance visa invitation.
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:01 AM

If you marry a British citizen (regardless of where) you will still need to apply for a spouse visa (quite expensive too). Which they may or may not accept.

I think that is the way it goes.

Nov 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Sounds like destini is going to Europe to look for a spouse. destini wouldn't perhaps be a troll, would he? first post and all that....
Nov 9th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Destini, there is an assumption in the UK immigration rules against "switching". So, if you come in on a visitor visa, they will frown on a change of status. You can try, but, basically you will need to have extraordinary circumstances to get by.
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Do you have someone specific in mind to marry? If yes, what nationality is your fiance? Your goal is to live together in the UK or in the United States?
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM
ira

>If I come to Europe on a visitor passport get married and want to reside in London what are the odds I will get deported without my spouse being able to come with me?<

I would offer 3:5 or maybe 5:7.
Nov 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM

i thought destini was a she?