Visa for Europe?

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa for Europe?

Hey all!
So in August I am going to Europe from Australia for a period of 2 months (weeeeee!!)
I will be in Italy for 6 weeks, a week in England and a week in France.
What sort of visa will I need for this. A bit of a travel newbie and looking for some kind of direction.... help!
Thank you
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 05:08 PM

I'm not entirely sure of the details, but I believe that if you are going to be in Europe for under 90 days, you do not need any visa
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Your Visa is the stamp you'll receive when you go through passport control when you first enter the EU. As noted, it will be good for 90 days.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Great! So does that cover me if I decide to skip over to France and England for a little bit or are there different rules?
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:15 PM

You should look at this:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...urope_Schengen

and this:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...United_Kingdom

Read all details carefully and take note of time limits for staying in this area; and then if you do not hold Australian citizenship follow any instructions.

If you do hold Australian citizenship I am pretty sure thing are very simple.

Enjoy your holiday planning.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:17 AM

An Australian in good standing (ie one not intending to work or study here, and able to convince a border official he won't seek work or be a drain on public resources while here) is allowed into the UK for six months. Typically that happens (the six months extension, and if you look dodgy the interrogation) each time an Australian presents himself at a UK border.

The rules other European countries impose on foreigners have nothing to do with the UK: there's no such thing as a "visa for Europe" any more than there is a "visa for Asia"

A group of other European countries (some in the EU, some not) offer a common scheme, called Schengen. They include Italy and France, and the rules limiting you to 90 days in total there out of any 180 do not affect the time you may spend in Britain.

However, since Australians have the highest incidence of any nation of illegal overstay, don't be offended if you're closely questioned on arrival in Britain.